[ 003 ] old habits die hard

━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

      THE ENVIRONMENT they found themselves in seemed to suit Anakin and Araminta, both seeming almost at home amongst the mass of fleeing passengers. Many were dressed shabby or in a way that hid their less than savoury intentions. It was not a safe situation, but Araminta was used to the potential danger, having been in many during her time with Octavian, as well as confident in her ability to protect herself if something arose.

She couldn't imagine where Anakin would have become so at ease in such a crowd, as the boy wore an easy expression on his face as he guided Padme through the mass of people, Araminta bringing up the rear as they walked in height order. It would've looked almost comical if they weren't trying to avoid suspicion. Contrastingly, Padme looked increasingly uncomfortable, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

The trio had taken a seat away from most of the others as they waited for their transit, isolating themselves. They couldn't take the risk of interacting with anyone and being recognised, no matter how much they had attempted to disguise themselves. They were on the floor, sitting cross-legged in a circle of sorts, as R2-D2 – Padme's droid – came up to them carrying a bowl and a slice of meat, which he handed over to Padme. The food offered in the place was hardly of good quality, but neither of the three voiced it. They had bigger problems than food.

"Must be difficult having sworn your life to the Jedi," Padme spoke up after a while, as they ate in silence. Anakin perked up as Padme continued, while Araminta lightly slurped at her soup, drinking it straight from the bowl. "You know, not being able to visit the places you want or do the things you like."

"Or be with the people he likes," Araminta chirped, earning a deadly glare from Anakin.

"You have soup on your top lip," he grumbled. Araminta rolled her eyes, but licked her lips anyway. "I accept the path I've chosen," Anakin added in response to Padme.

"Are...are the Jedi allowed to love?" the senator asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"No, they have this...thing with love and attachments," Araminta answered, scrunching up her nose. "Maybe I don't get it because I'm not one of them, but it's awful, if you ask me. Emotions make you strong, in my opinion, and given that love is the strongest, it's a powerful weapon."

"And for one with that belief you are so emotional," Anakin chuckled, dryly, placing his empty bowl down on the ground.

"We've been over this and you lost," Araminta sighed.

"No, you caught me off guard," Anakin retorted.

"Sure."

Araminta ignored the twinge in her chest at Anakin's doubt of her being capable of love. He knew nothing about her past, or about her, but she knew herself. That was all that counted.