; training wheels ;

a/n: alrightyyy first chapterrr les go
art credit belongs to AstroComicat :D
reader is gender neutral and probably will be for future chapters

~

. [NAME'S] POV . 

"But I don't want to!" 
God, this guy is stubborn.

I bought him crutches so he can learn how to walk properly, and here he is, whining like a baby about it.
"Dave, it won't be that bad. It's probably better than zooming on a wheelchair like you're on ice... Seriously, what's with the drifting on the thing?"

"I, uh... Programmed it to be like that."
"You suck at programming," I sigh. "Rude!" 

Dave has been my best friend ever since Pre-K. Quite a long time, right? Been with him before and after his accident at work, and, well, we're engaged now and he's still absolutely as stubborn as the first day I saw him. Dave took off a vacation day from his job as a teacher, to try out his new crutches I had to buy for him. We just sent Tristan off to school..

"Dude, please. The crutches were expensive and I want you to at least try them."
The exasperated tone in my voice seems to make him soften up a bit, with a small frown. 

"F.. Fine. Look, I'm just- Scared I'll fall on my face or something." 
"C'mon, I'm gonna be holding you up anyway." I pat his shoulder and grabbed the crutches for him. Rather reluctantly, he glanced at me as I pulled him out of his wheelchair and made him grab onto the crutches.
"WOoAH- Easy, please, don't just yank me out of my wheelchair-" Dave said as he teetered on his legs, though I tried to keep him steady by holding him by the waist. 

"So, how exactly do I..."

"Put your arms over the top, like this," I grab him arms and set them over the top of the crutch, "and grab the lower handle, like this." I set his hands over the bottom handle. He seemed to grow even more nervous as his arms got more shaky.

"Look, I'm gonna let you go for a second to see if you can stand.." "O.. Okay.." I let go of Dave, and he wobbled, and swear to god, he nearly fell over. I held onto his waist again, trying to keep him stable.

"Just remember to keep weight on the crutches, alright?" I reminded him as he nodded. I let go of him again.

"Does it seem a bit better?" I asked in a soft tone as he nodded again, "yeah.. I-It's just, um.. Hard to get used to.. And I'm supposed to walk in these?"

"Well, it's supposed to help you."

"This just seems to make it harder.." He mumbled, staring at the floor as he finally stopped shaking, finally getting his balance.
"But you're already doing so well!" I said with a smile, giving him a sidehug, which gave me an idea. "Hey, how about we ditch one crutch and I'll try to help you walk?"

"U-UH, wait- Really?" He wasn't prepared for this, I could tell. He seemed awfully nervous.
"Dave, I'm gonna be holding you, it'll be alright." 

He sighed and clung onto me tightly, "Please don't drop me for laughs. I'm begging you." I chuckle a bit, "Don't give me ideas.."
He stared at me, terrified, "C'mon, why would I actually drop you? This is a big thing we're doing here." I rubbed his waist a bit, which made him soften up with red tinting his cheeks out of embarrassment. "Okay, okay.. Can we just start?"

"Of course."

One small step at a time, Dave moved in sync with me.
His first steps were, albeit, a bit wobbly and made him stumble quite a bit. I mean, it's hard walking without, y'know, feet. Something to actually stand on. He doesn't have anything to support him, to no surprise to anybody.

".. It kinda feels like I have my legs back again." He said in a quiet tone as he took a few more steps forward, following my every mood.
"Isn't it great?" I smiled at him, and he glanced away with his face tinted a vibrant pink.
"I'm surprised you're doing so much for me. I mean, it's my own fault I don't have legs anyway, and you're just.. Helping me."
"You're gonna be my husband soon for crying out loud, so I want to do this much on you."

The statement made him smile as he held onto me tighter, "uh.. Thank you. God, I just- I dunno what I did to deserve this, to deserve you." He laughed, which made me grin at him and nudge him a bit.

"Sweetheart, c'mon, you're acting like I'm some savior or something. I just bought you crutches."

"But it means a lot to me!" He huffed in embarrassment.
"I know. I can tell." I kissed his cheek as we walked side by side.

"I think I'm getting used to these.." He muttered after a while.
"That's great! I think you've done enough for now, you want back in your wheelchair?" I asked him, which he nodded.
Instantly, I grabbed him up which made him scream a bit. "Oh, calm down."
"I-I CAN WALK THERE MYSELF-?!" "Nonsense. Let me bring you there, my princess." I say in a teasing tone as Dave began to fuss, though, after I set him down, he quieted down.

"... I, uh.. I love you." Dave murmured after a moment, which made my heart melt. "I love you too. C'mon, should we like, order a pizza for lunch or something?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

~

900 WORDS EXACT FOR THAT ENDING WOO
i hope this is a good kickstarter to this book! i love u guys :)