The Found Jewel

The station had been abandoned for a while. The odd bottle of water and can of sardines were left on the shelves.
Zu wandered off to the front of the store as I checked the back storage. Ruffling through, I had a weird tingling. My body felt weird, like I was energized but weak at the same. I tried to shake the feeling. I shuffled through the selves for a while. Zu combing the front room, it had to be at least an hour of us digging. And I couldn't shake the weird feeling.  Then everything in the store started to flicker, the lights and walls all full of electricity. Running to the door, I had to get to Zu but the door knob had been electrified. I cursed as my heart started to beat out of my chest. This had to be because of Zu right? This wasn't from someone else? I started to panic as I was unable to get out of the storage room. The electricity zapped and crackled.

"Zu!" I called but no one was there. I didn't know how I was going to get out of here.

"Come on!" I screamed as the door crackled louder.

I stuck my hand out to try the knob, but I was petrified of the zap that would hit my skin like lightning. Staring at the knob, it was like the energy was sucked into me. It ran through my body but it didn't hurt. It disappeared into the ground and I stared at my palm. I couldn't have done that? I heard a name being called but it wasn't any of ours,

"Ruby!" Was yelled through the store.

I refused to open the door, concerned as to who was out there. I pressed my body against the door, these had to be the people following us. But who was Ruby? I heard voices outside the door but as they got further away. I slowly opened the door. I was alone in the store, for now anyways. I pulled my pants up that barely sat on my hips and made a run for the van. I hoped that Zu had already gone back to the others.

As I rounded the last corner, I saw Charles and Liam walking back towards Betty. Chatting amongst themselves. Liam turned around as he noticed my panicked form trying to catch up.

"Em?" I motioned for them to keep going towards the van.
The boys picked up speed and I managed to catch up and jump into the back of the van. My breath ragged and uneven.

"Why were you running?!" Charles barked and I noticed Zu was staring at me.

"There are people in there," I choked out between breaths.
Then the sound of voices again, Liam flicked the ignition into drive and we were speeding out onto the road again. We could just make out a name from the people as we sped off.

"Who's Ruby?" Charles asked as we started driving off.

"I'm Ruby," a small curly haired girl popped out of the pile of blankets in the back. I jumped to push away from her and a ringing in my head started. I grabbed my ears, hoping the piercing ringing would stop. Liam slammed on the brakes and we all jerked in our seats. 

"Please just let me out, I'm sorry," the girl named Ruby pleaded.
The ringing intensified, it felt like my brain would melt. Zu grabbed my arm, I'm sure this whole thing just looked like I was terrified of the girl.
Liam sped forward again with a mumble of,
"You're not going to the league," the car shot forward and Liam announced our names,
"I'm Liam that's Zu, Emma, and Chubs," his eyes focused back on the road.
"Chubs?" the girl asked, confused with why Liam called him that.
"It's Charles to you," the young boy corrected.
"Yeah he use to be a bit beefier," Liam joked.

The ringing subsided a little. As it started quieting down in my head, it wasn't so painful anymore.

"Zu can back me up on that one. Right Zu?" Liam smiled and my heart melted, leave it to him to be joking in a serious situation.

He smiled back at us, but Zu sent a finger pointing forward. As Liam looked back, and I peered around the drivers seat.
A car was cruising towards us, in the opposite lane. But I noticed Liam's grip tightening on the wheel.
A bullet came flying through the windshield. Barely missing my body, but lodged itself in the metal of the  van walls. Zu pushed us all down and against the floor of the van.

"Lady Jane! I told you I saw her!" Charles remarked and Liam's foot hit the floor, "Come on go! Go! Go!"

What if this was it? I could only imagine the time those scientists missed since I was gone. I would be in for the worst of it, if I was sent back. Zu comforted me as best she could. Her eyes made contact with my terrified ones and it was like she was saying "trust us, it will be okay,"

"Hey Ruby, you know how to drive?!" Liam shouted from the front. Said girl replied with an abrupt no.

"Well you're about to learn today, come on," Liam ushered her to the front.
Charles started shouting about how this wasn't a good idea. But Liam swapped with Ruby anyways as she sped down the highway. Liam walked past Zu and I as we clung for dear life. He stopped briefly to look at me.
"You aren't going back, I got this," he smiled and my anxiety eased a little. Until he swung open the back doors. A weird weight on my chest started, like it was doing a flip flop. Like when the roller coaster goes up too fast and your tummy churns. That was the feeling.
Two vehicles sped behind us. A lady had a gun aimed out her old car window.
"Liam!" Charles yelled with a panicked tone. 
Said boy looked back at me and waved to come closer.
"Can you make sure I don't fall out of this van," I shook my head like he was mad.
"You got this. Just anchor your feet," 
I held onto his belt. Bracing myself and him. Although if he tumbled forward, I wasn't sure I could hold him.
But Liam planted his feet and his eyes flickered a brilliant blue. They shown so bright it reminded me of the brilliant glow of sky.
His hands moved and with one swoop. The force had  yanked the trees from their roots off the side of the road. Throwing them into the way of the vehicles. His muscled were tensed and I had to keep myself focused.
Lady Jane was forced to use both hands to steer as the gun plopped into her lap.  I held onto Liam but it got bumpier and bumpier once he used both of his hands to split the road into two, dividing the highway behind us. Driving the car off the road and the truck still barrelled behind us.
"Can you go faster?!" He yelled at Ruby who agreed and the van lurched backward. Bracing my feet against the already slippery floor. I held on to Liam for dear life. I owed him more then I could ever repay. He tore a large tree from the ground and sent it soaring in front of the truck. Who skidded to a halt. The van got ahead by a mile.
"Hell yeahhhh!" Charles called from the passenger seat. But Liam wobbled and fell to the floor taking us both down with him. Zu shut the doors and Ruby continued driving down the road.
"You okay?" I softly asked scooting to see if one of the bullets hit him. I pressed my hand to his arm and he smiled.
"No I'm good, it just uses a lot of energy." I sighed scared that something happened to him. I had only known this crew for a few days but they had showed me more kindness then anyone has in years.
"Be careful please," I spoke softly and he smiled at me.
"What? I had it under control," he smirked and leaned up on his elbows, then stood on his feet.
"Nice driving," he complimented Ruby.
"This is not like riding a bicycle," she corrected and Liam patted her shoulder.
"I can take over," she hoped from the drivers seat and Liam took over the driving once again.