you could have died, you know

gender neutral reader - mostly fluff? injury mentions, very nonspecific :)

"You could have died, you know."

I'd never seen Shane in such disarray. Okay, that was a lie, there were quite a few times. But something about today's look was definitely different.

"I know, Shane. I'm sorry. I should've listened to you." I responded, reaching my hand out to lightly touch his face.

Those sad eyes of his looked down at me, lying in the hospital bed at Harvey's. Shane grabbed my hand, and squeezed it tight. I could tell he was really, really scared.

"It's okay. It's not your fault."

"I'm just- I need to get materials for the farm, so that I can keep making more things. Clint is really fucking expensive, you know." He let out a snicker. Yoba, there's that smile again. "But again, I'm sorry. I know how much you hate me going in the mines. If you wanna say 'I told you so,' it's like, totally warranted right now." My voice was barely above a whisper, the pain being too much to push myself much further.

"I don't even know how you do it, to be honest. You go down with... whatever may be down in those mines and you act like it's nothing. You know, I really admire that about you. You're so brave." His voice matched my tone, as he brought my hand to his lips. "You're the bravest person I've ever met. But that doesn't mean I don't worry about you, chickpea."

I gave him a sad smile. Shane's eyes just look... so much more tired than normal. I never want to see him like this.

"Shane, you look like shit," I said. "Thank you for being worried about me, but you really need to sleep, you know."

"I... I know. I tried, you know." Shane could barely look me in the eyes. I wish he was less ashamed of himself, because, Yoba, if only he knew how much I adore him. He has his hard days, but he hates that he has them still when I do so much for him. I wish he would just... I wish he could see.

"Shane..." I placed both my hands on either side of his face. "I love you."

"I- I love you too." He took my hands off his face, and brushed my hair out of my face. His cheeks had the cutest twinge of pink dusting the tops.

"Shane, I want you to-"

"Farmer (Y/N)!" Harvey's voice came from the other side of the curtain, just as it started to open. He had all his doctor papers, probably for all the shit that they had to do to me after I almost died in the mines.

"It looks like you're doing better. I think that if you feel like you're ready, you can head home today." Harvey gave the good news, a small smile on his face. Probably because he knew how much money he'd be getting out of this. "I'll leave you to it, and you can sign the papers to leave when you're ready." He handed Shane the paperwork, and made his way out of the area just as quickly as he showed up.

"Well, this is some good news." Shane said, and gave that beautiful smile of his.

"It sure is."

"Oh, uh, what were you gonna say before the Doc came in?" He questioned.

"Oh. Uhm. Well, uh, I was just wondering," He arched his eyebrow, confused as to why I was so nervous to ask him something. Usually, I'm the one who says what needs to be said.

"Would you, uh, want to move in with me?" I finally popped the question. "I just like, think it could be really good for us. I'm really, really serious about you, Shane."

Now, there are few simple pleasures in this horrific world. Most of it is pain, suffering, and pain over and over again. But, Yoba, if seeing the most stoic and straight-faced man you've ever met turn bright red because of you isn't one of them, then I don't know what is. I don't think I've ever seen Shane so flustered before. Clearly, this is not what he was expecting me to ask.

"I- uhm- I- Yes. Yes, I want to move in with you. Yoba, that was not at all what I expected to come out of your mouth just now." He stuttered.

"Well, what did you expect?"

"I don't know! Not that!" I laughed at his state. I thought to myself, if this is what I get to be with for the rest of my life, I will be the happiest person to ever live.

Finally, I sat up. I don't know why I didn't earlier, to be honest. Guess I was just really tired.

"You wanna get me out of this bed, then?" I smiled at him. His hearty laugh escaped his mouth, making my smile grow even wider.

"Yeah, yeah, get your ass up." He laughed.

***

We got home later that day. The laughing continued, my smile never ending. Shane tried his best to make me dinner, and it was surprisingly good. I'm glad we both have a shared love for spicy food.

That night, as I laid with my head across Shane's chest, there was only one thought in my mind. It was bouncing around like a screensaver, waiting to hit the corner and finally be released.

"I love you." I said. In my brain, I was going to say it confidently, but it came out much more meek than intended. That's probably how everyone feels when saying 'I love you' for the first time, though.

It was pretty dark, but as I looked up at him, I could see his face perfectly. Somehow, with those three words, I had made him the brightest, most tomato-like red I'd ever seen.

"I love you too," he responded.