3 - Hadley

"You say sorry a lot you know that?" Braden asks watching me.

"force of habit, sor.." I catch myself before it slips out.

"So how come you aren't downstairs with everyone else, usually the host is expected to be present ya know?"

"Not really in the mood for a party I guess, who was bothering you downstairs?"

"Just some guy couldn't take the hint when I said I didn't want a drink for the third time" sitting back on my heels I lean against the armchair behind me, taking in Braden again he's even bigger than I remembered broad shoulders, thick legs covered in jeans and one tattoo I can see peeking from underneath his faded university hockey shirt it looks like a tribal pattern but also has small elements hidden within it.

"do you play?" I ask gesturing to the logo on his shirt

he looks up from his hands with an unreadable expression and slowly raises his eyebrows. Shit did I say something wrong?

"you mean you don't know me?"

"uhh should I?" my dad used to watch the college games sometimes and I Definity wasn't one to watch every week let alone keep up with the players, frankly I find the games a bit too violent sometimes.

I blush creeps up my neck the longer he stares at me trying to read whether I'm kidding or not, I guess. "I mean I'm sure I might have seen a game here and there, but I defiantly wouldn't recognise you in uniform or anything"

"I knew hockey was a bigger deal here than it was at home, but I haven't seen any posters and my roommate didn't say we were going to a hockey players house she just said her brother knew some guys having a party on campus" I draw in a breath "but she said they were hockey players so that would make sense"

"You wound me blondie" he finally says holding a hand to his chest in mock hurt. 

I laugh nervously my neck heats further with the nickname he used "I sincerest apologies, I didn't know I was in the presence of royalty"

Getting to my feet I start to head out "well thanks for letting me crash for a while, I'll leave you to do whatever it is you were doing before I disrupted"

"I was just kidding about the not knowing me thing you know that right?"

"Yeah, of course, I won't forget you ever again, Braden," I say emphasising his name with a smile I slip out the door and head back downstairs to find Jade.