Chapter 9: Getting Skye

The news blew up immediately. My recording was on every news station and internet site. I wasn't sorry about it. The world finally knew what kind of sick son of a bitch my brother was and in turn my parents too.

After the initial news, I ignored it. I was proud of myself. I hadn't killed him which to be honest was what I'd been wanting to do for a long time. But he wasn't worth it. I'd killed a lot of people in my life. He'd made me an angry child, I wasn't going to let him keep power over me.

I'd let my anger and hate consume me as a young man which had made it easier for John Garrett to manipulate and semi brain wash me. The pain in my heart surfaced any time I thought of John. Even now, knowing what I knew, it was difficult to accept him as the villain.

I ignore that pain and go through my day. I meet Hunter's contact and with the information I got from Bakshi, I have enough to find Daniel Whitehall.

It's easy to convince him that I'd be an asset on his team. He brings up the news and it seems Christian has committed suicide. I fake a smile and lean back in my chair.

I knew there was a chance Christian would do this. He was always a coward. I'm sure both my parents will follow though not by suicide. They're older and the years haven't been kind to them.

I hear Hydra agents talking about a lost city and a diviner as I go to my assigned room. I send a coded message to Hunter's contact to get to Hunter.

Coulson has to know about this city or at least be on alert that Hydra is searching for it.

I get sent out on my first mission. Whitehall needs some enemies taken out. He sends me with a team and puts me in charge. Compared to some of these are still rookies. I get irritated with them and yell a lot. One of them has a mouth on him, so I put him in his place by breaking his jaw and knocking him out. The rest of the men are scared of me so they follow my orders.

I pass by Agent 33 a couple of times. It's known that she's brainwashed by all but her. I feel pity as I watch her follow Whitehall like a lap dog. She looks at him with such devotion. But I befriend her quickly. She reminds me of what I felt for John. I call her Kara not Agent 33 and she smiles.

She smiles a lot at me now when she sees me and gives me a nod. She doesn't talk to anyone much but that's because she's worried Whitehall will see it as a weakness.

I watch her closely and Whitehall notices. When he asks, I just smile and say, "She's nice to look at."

After 3 missions in 4 days, Whitehall tells me that he wants me to meet "The Dr". I have no clue as to who he's speaking about but he explains who he is and how it won't be long before he kills him. It dawns on me that it's Skye's father he may talking about.

Whitehall also mentions that "The Dr" has had a run in with Coulson and some SHIELD Agents while looking into finding the so-called city.

I take a seat next to Whitehall and wait for him to arrive. Inside I feel like a nervous teenager which is absurd. I never even dated Skye's for God's sake. Why should I be worried about meeting her father?

I close my eyes for a second and tell my body to relax. It obeys immediately and I feel confident as I watch "The Dr" enter the room.

I'm amused at the way he speaks to Whitehall. It's clear he doesn't like him. He sits as Whitehall explains who I am.

I watch him carefully. His eyes turn softer and hopeful.

"I was a member of Coulson's Team. Lived with them for months." I don't know how much to say to him. I don't know why he's here but I do want to see his reaction to this information.