Prologue

A/N: Hi everyone! So the beginning takes place in the summer of 2021, I started writing this in 2022. Don't come at me if the first part is a bit outdated (for example, Olivia Rodrigo's SOUR album), it's not like it was new when I started writing. Other than that, the first chapter is just a quick prologue, so you have some background info about the main character. Feel free to self insert yourself into Arianna/Phoenix (the main character).

"I have a love-hate relationship with the summer. It's a lovely season, definitely yes, but oh god it's way too hot sometimes," Arianna began, trying hard to keep her voice sugary.

"Ari, can you kindly shut up? I'm trying to focus you b-"

"I hate you. I officially hate you, Charlie. You ruined my video for like the millionth time. I. Hate. You." 

Charlie simply rolled his eyes.

Sharing an apartment with her younger brother wasn't the brightest idea Arianna had, but it's too late to do anything about it. Besides, it's not like she can afford her own apartment without having roommates. Let's just say Arianna has had some bad experiences with those. 

She did sign a contract for a year with the owner too. 

Arianna now has to live with her 18 year old brother, because 1) she can't afford an apartment on her own 2) for legal reasons.

For god's sake, she's 22! What has this world come down to. Well, at least she doesn't have to drive 4 hours to college each day. That would've been horrible.

Ah yes, the life of a Gen Z. It's brutal, isn't it?

Arianna went to the kitchen and grabbed her Airpods. It's 2021 and brutal has just been released. There's no way that she won't listen to it.

"Okay, Willy Wonka, I'm going outside. See ya,"

As she was putting on her shoes, she heard her brother say, "I hope not,"

Welp. That hurt.

She was about to say, "I heard that," but something stopped her. 

Instead, she said, "Where's my mask? The purple one, have you seen it?"

"You're wearing it, you idiot."

Arianna realized that Charlie was, in fact, correct. "Oh." was all she managed to say before rushing out of the building, slightly embarrassed. 

Arianna was planning on taking a stroll through the park, but she supposed that "fate" had other plans for her.

Arianna felt something - no, someone - following her. It was an uncanny feeling in her gut, telling her to run. So she sped up her pace. She felt eyes burning into her back.

This is bad. This is very bad. Arianna felt stupid. She's a young woman, this shouldn't be so surprising. Women are vulnerable in this society. She should've walked with her brother.

This is one of the times where she hates being a female. Men never seem to understand how dangerous it is to be a woman. 

These types of things - and people - are what make Arianna hates this society so, so much.

What now? Are they going to kidnap her? She felt them getting closer, so accordingly she sped up. 

Arianna was panicking. What if they catch her?

Maybe they just want my kidney, she thought, and chuckled. 

Arianna, this is serious. Focus.

An idea popped into her head. She should cross the street, and run downtown. They surely wouldn't be as likely to kidnap her if there's a crowd. She could get help then.

When she reached the crossing the light was green. Arianna never thought she'd be this happy to see a greed light. 

Thank god!

As Arianna ran onto the road, she was surprised the stranger didn't follow. She slowed down and caught a breath, when the realization hit her with a truck. 

Literally. 

A huge truck came out of seemingly nowhere, and just like that, her life was over.

She now finally understood what Sirius meant, when he had said, "It's quicker and easier than falling asleep," in the movie. Arianna was obsessed with the Harry Potter books when she was a child.

Then another realization hit her - this time not in the form of a truck - she was outside of her body.

Arianna watched as the truck driver stepped out. He looked startled - terrified. Well, he'll probably get sued. 

And then, all of the sudden, Arianna's consciousness started fading.

Her last thought was, Be careful what you wish for, I suppose...

It was lights out for Arianna.

Or rather, it was supposed to be.