18. SATOSHI (さとし, サトシ)

I don't have much experience with men. Only with assholes. -Evie

"It's his ex," Deedee whispered to Evie out of the side of her mouth. "He was babbling about her when he was injected with truth serum." Deedee appraised the woman with a practiced eye. "She's obviously the brains behind this operation. Hunkered down here like an alien queen bee."

Although she was in her late thirty's, the statuesque woman standing before them was the pinnacle of Japanese beauty and elegance. She had the high-bridged nose and smooth, flawless skin of a twenty-year-old, so highly prized in her culture. Her intelligent, dark eyes calmly assessed the group, masking her inner emotions.

Thanatos walked over and proudly put his arm around the stunning woman. "I want you all to meet my wife, Satoshi."

Evie breathed a sigh of relief. I could never have competed with her over Ray.

"Satoshi Nakamoto was known for many things before I met her." He continued. "A treasured daughter and an accomplished black-belt, she's also a former fashion model and an animal rights activist. She speaks several languages, but what she's most famous for is her disciplined cyber attacks under the pseudonym Aquarian. Her hacking expertise in taking down a system and holding it for ransom is legendary."

"I know," Ray said, looking at Satoshi. "Your wife's disciplined DOS attack is what cost our company millions during a government bidding war." He held his ex's gaze, "I trusted you, Satoshi. You had me completely fooled."

Satoshi bowed her head and said, "I'm not proud of my dishonorable past, Raymond." A hint of sadness crept into her eyes. "Among other things. I know how poorly it ended between us. Please understand, I was young and honoring my father's wishes. He had a vision much like yours of bringing technology to the masses."

"The technology he brought to the masses is riddled with spyware." The moment of tension between them passed. Ray released his breath and walked forward, offering her his hand. "In the end, it's not the assassin. It's who financed the bullet. We have a common enemy now, Satoshi. I'm glad you met someone who turned your life of crime into a vigilante's oath of vengeance."

Satoshi gave him a tight smile, formally accepting his handshake. "I've changed, Raymond. I'm not the same person I was. I hope that I can prove it to you."

Through the apartment's glass doors, they saw another high-speed rail car glide to a stop in the underground station. Bob Mercer, the NSA hippie from the shelter's alley, exited carrying a lap top case. His hair was neatly combed, his ponytail pulled up into a man bun. No longer dressed as a hippie, he wore jeans and a black Italian wool cashmere peacoat.

"What's Rasputin doin' here?" Deedee shouted.

Vince leapt up. "Which network of DUMBS did that rail car come from? We don't know if Mercer's a double agent! He said he was told to stand down instead of helping Sinclair."

"I told him to stand down," Satoshi said. Sinclair looked at her, incredulous. She nodded. "He's a double agent working with us. His name is Marvin Darrow."

"He's a white hat, posing as a black hat working for you?" Vince asked, dubiously.

"You really trust this woman?" Deedee mouthed to Sinclair.

"Agent Darrow was sent to protect your life." Thanatos confirmed.

"He's a little late." Sinclair gestured to Deedee, Vince, and Evie. "I've already got protection."