Daughter of Darkness

The night was cool and calm. Stars shone brightly in the dark sky like glitter. The milky way streamed across the horizon like spilled sugar. Constellations made shapes of people and animals so perfectly Livana could almost imagine them coming to life.

The girl sat with her dad in the observatory. In front of them was a low table with their dinner- a bowl of soup and bread, with hot cocoa to drink.

Livana's father pointed out the planets to her.

That's Mercury, he said, pointing to the west. And that's Saturn, way over there.

Her father was always enthusiastic about the night sky. He had almost every book about it, and even wrote some of his own. He had a super expensive camera that he'd take with him onto the roof and take pictures of the stars, moon, and sky. He even had a calendar book, where he'd marked certain phases of the moon and when eclipses or supernovas would happen.

Livana didn't really understand it all, especially because being an astronomer is what led him to her mother. She didn't understand how he could still love something that eventually broke his heart.

Her father seemed to notice her mood. What's wrong, my raven?

Why do you still like the night, even after Mama left. Wouldn't you hate it because it reminds you of her?

Phillipe laughed. No, Livana. The night will always be beautiful to me. Yes, it brought your mama and I together, but it is not her fault she had to go. Neither is it yours, or the night's.

But why did she leave us? Livana wiped her wet eyes. What did we do wrong?

Nothing, Livana. Phillipe wiped her tears. I don't really get it myself, but I try to understand her decision. Never feel resentment for your mother or those you loved before.

He patted his young daughter's head. They may end up saving you one day.

Then the brightness of the moon washed over her vision.

When Livana woke up, she wiped the tears off her face. She hoped she hadn't been crying too loud. She didn't want to wake her housers.

She sat up in bed. It wasn't her's, or even one in her cabin. She was in Cabin 9, the Hephaestus cabin. Leo's siblings took pity on her. They let her sleep in his bunk and take some of his belongings. She hated how nice they were being, but she felt depressingly obliged.

The cabin was already empty. Most of the Hephaestus kids were probably already at the forge or eating breakfast. Livana didn't feel like joining any of them. She hadn't been with other campers since the night Leo died. That was three days ago. The Romans had already gone back to camp. The Eight had been separated.

Livana moved out of Leo's bunk and stretched. Her whole body ached and cried in pain as she moved. She had to admit, she hadn't taken the best care of herself the past few days. Only one camper had managed to wriggle his way into her cold heart. That was little Harley, of course. Leo's youngest sibling at camp. The eight-year-old hadn't taken Leo's death well. He was a cute little kid who'd loved his older brother and looked up to him greatly. He and Livana bonded well over their loved one's passing. Harley took care of her in exchange for stories about Leo or some of Leo's blueprints. He said if Leo had ideas, he would carry them out in his honor.

Livana combed her hair with her fingers and dressed herself. She rummaged through Leo's clothes and managed to find a hoodie he'd worn during the winter. She put it to her face and breathed in deeply. His fiery home-like scent was still there. Livana choked out a sound between a sob and a laugh as she put it on. Then she pulled a chord out of her shirt. The makeshift necklace had only one thing- the button from Leo's army jacket. She touched it gently and exhaled.