5 - How exciting! A fight to the death!

Okay, so, quick note: This is what I imagine Wren to look like (that's why it's on the cover). The choppy blonde and brown hair and the armor just seem like her. BUT. The art is NOT mine. Just making that clear. Okay, enjoy this chapter! 

"Holy Moly!" Corin exclaimed, looking around excitedly.

 The enormous structure was almost entirely made of stone, even the five or six rows of seats. Which didn't look comfortable. Well too bad,  Wren suddenly thought angrily. They're going to have to witness our deaths with sore butts. There closest seats to the fighting floor were much more comfortable-looking. For the honored guests, Wren figured.

  Wren walked in a few steps more. There was sandy gravel at their feet, probably for soaking up blood, if Wren had to guess. And to her left was a giant wall, lined with what had to be hundreds of various swords, bows, and other weapons of that sort. Under the weapon section, was a section lined with even more shields than weapons. The shields seemed to differ in size, appearance, and metal type. 

  As both of them were examining the colosseum- like structure, a darkly dressed woman walked into the arena from a side door which Wren hadn't noticed a moment ago. Then again, apparently more trainees had found the training area, because about seven more kids were examining the stadium in awe. Among those "kids" was Wren's good friend she had met in the hall. He caught her eye and scowled at her. She frowned back, as Corin looked between the two of them.

  "Wow, what'd you do to him? Break his heart?" joked Corin, only amusing himself. Wren rolled her eyes and adjusted her armor uncomfortably. More students began to file in through the large set of doors, and some even from side doors which could have fooled Wren. They looked just like groups of stones on the wall. After about ten minutes, Corin started to get bored. 

  "Wanna practice fighting?" He asked, leading Wren to the wall of weapons. "Look at all of these options!" He grabbed a few and tested them out.

  Nunchucks, not really his thing. Wren dodged to the side, almost getting a decent sized dent in her skull as the weapon swung her way. 

  "Whoops!" Corin said, not sounding sorry enough. "Ooooo!" he picked up a morning star looking object, and that's when Wren decided she wanted to look at some pillar formations a few hundred feet away. She walked away, noticing more students walking into the arena. It really started to get crowded. And that was saying something.

  Just as Corin was about to take out a students eye with an arrow a lofty voice suddenly came from the middle of the arena. "Hello students,"  the head mistresses voice carried through the gathering of students. "Looks like most of you found your way." 

  Most? Wren wondered, there were at least three hundred students here, a little less than the assembly when they had first met the mistress.  

  "This is your first day of training," she continued calmly. "You will be divided into pairs and will be given further instruction from there. Grab a weapon, if you haven't brought one."

  Wren's hand moved to her pouch with her knives inside. She needed a shield. Wren beat the crowd of students to the weaponry section, since she was already standing near it. Wren looked at the options, but all of them looked to big and heavy. How was she supposed to maneuver with all that extra metal weighing her down?  She decided on no shield as a rush of students came her way. 

  Wren moved toward the weapons area which was flooded with even more students all fighting for the best weapon. Corin seemed to be struggling, because of his height. Not that Corin wasn't tall, he was certainly above average, but everyone here was at least three years older. Which made height, weight, and skill a bit of a challenge for him and Wren. 

 She noticed he was strictly avoiding swords of any kind, although she had head him sheathing one the first day they met. Which was yesterday. Wow. Time sure does work differently when you're stuck on a training camp with idiots who are older and stronger than you. Corin swiped a spear from another guy holding it and got out of there really fast. 

  "HEY!" The guy called angrily, but Corin moved into the crowd and lost him.

  Wren wondered where he got off to, when she felt a tap on her right shoulder. "Found a weapon!" he exclaimed. 

  "Yeah right," Wren said. "I just watched you snatch it from that guy over there."

  Corin shrugged, apparently unconcerned. "Same thing."

  "Students." The mistress said. She didn't even say it loudly, it just kind of carried through the room like a wisp of smoke. "I will now assign partners. Listen carefully." She began reading off names from a paper. 

  Abrielle Sallow. . . and Alvin Knox. She called out.  When trainees heard their names they would shuffle around awkwardly looking for each other. After what was about five minutes the mistress read, 

  "Corin Ransom . . . and Lenna Ransom." Wren whipped her head around to look at Corin. He never mentioned a sister! But to be fair, they had only known each other for a day. Wren mouthed sister? Corin nodded and shrugged. He moved toward a girl with the same dirty blonde hair color but with less of a mischievous look, and more like she was going to scold him. She watched as they whispered fiercely to each other, and Wren saw Lenna grin slyly and point to her. Corin blushed a bit and then whispered something back to her. Wren could guess what that conversation was about, she had sisters too. 

  Wren really wasn't paying attention to the rest of the name but suddenly she heard, "Wren Black . . . and Soren Winslow."

  Who was Soren? Wren wondered. Then she felt herself turn pale, the boy who was looking around was a tall boy with tan skin and a very familiar scar running through his eyebrow. She moved toward him, trying not to look nervous but caught Corin's eye and mouthed I'm dead.

  The headmistress had apparently called out all the names after that, because everyone was standing next to another person. Some looked pleased, some. . . didn't. "You will fight the person you are paired with to the best of your ability." The lady said. "And . . . try not to die. As that would be rather  embarrassing for you."

  Just. . . fight? No rules? Oh, and by the way, try not to die. Which implied that the other person could kill you. Heck, they had permission to.

  Soren smiled, readying his weapon, which happened to be a nasty-looking scythe. Wren took out two daggers, and took a deep breath. Then they fought.

   Well, this was a shorter chapter compared to my others. Anyway, check out the next chapter to see how that goes. Seeya!