water fountain | zenitsu x kanao

* lowercase intended
- oneshot request!
- character x character
- genre : fluff to slight angst
- college au
- warnings : none

────  ◡̈₊· • .  .°

a light breeze kissed zenitsu's face as he walked around the college campus, looking for a certain girl.

getting scared by a bug on the floor, he jumped up on a nearby bench and cowered until the bug returned to the grass. heaving a sigh a relief, he sits down on the bench and decides to take a break from looking for kanao.

contently looking at the school's water fountain in front of him, his mind starts to wander and reminisce the past.

flashback

two children who are the mere age of seven, walk hand in hand together around the park in content silence.

"hey kanao, let's race! if i beat you, you have to give me a kiss right here!" zenitsu challenged has he pointed to his cheek.

taking her coin, tossing it in the air, and thinking for a moment, she gives the boy a ghostly smile. "okay."

"alright! the first person to make it to the water fountain wins~"

receiving a nod from the girl, zenitsu tightens his velcro sneakers and gets into a runner's starting position.

"three..."

"two..."

"one..."

"GO!"

the two take off running, zenitsu in the lead only because he's the one who counted down.

'yes!! i'm going to win~'  he thinks as he believes he's running as fast as lightning.

( a/n: y'all see what i did there? LMAOO )

he turns his head to give kanao a triumphant grin but soon trips over the fountain's ledge, going straight into the water.

despite being soaked, he shakes his noir hair and smiles. "i win!"

kanao, not caring who the victor is, grabs zenitsu's hand and starts making her way home. "you're going to get sick."

now the two were taking a bubble bath together, supervised by kanae, kanao's older sister.

"you guys are lucky you're so cute." she says as she pinches their cheeks.

kanao turns to zenitsu as soon as her sister leaves.

"is something wro-?" he starts.

before finishing his sentence, kanao gives him a light peck on his cheek and continues to play with her butterfly bath toy.

zenitsu's ears start to turn red as they both play in the water in a comfortable silence.

flachback end

zenitsu smiles at the core memory and touches his cheek.

"alright, i'm going to confess to kanao!" he declares, not talking to anyone in particular.

marching around the campus with a new found confidence, he spots his best friend, eating lunch with tanjiro kamado.

'since when were they friends?' he thought, grumbling to himself in slight jealousy.

slowly making his way over to the pair, he watches as she gives tanjiro the biggest smile as she feeds him onigiri.

his heart clenches even more as she lays her head against tanjiro's shoulder.

'they might be just friends!' he reassures himself as he runs his hair through his bleached blond hair.

slowly rebuilding his confidence, he starts to walk over again but freezes.

he watched as her lips met his.

oh how he loathed tanjiro kamado. but what was there to hate? tanjiro was kind, brave, and independent. but him? he was loud, cowardly, and clingy.

'of course she'd pick him. i'd pick him too.'  he solemnly thought. 'well, as long as she's happy.'

wiping a stray tear that fell from his eye, he turned around and didn't look back.

"treat her well, tanjiro."

────  ◡̈₊· • .  .°

( a/n: ta-da!! my first piece of writing outside of school after months! what do you guys think? not sure if my writing's the same as before, but this is progress!

also, autocorrect kept correcting 'kanao' to 'lmao' which actually pissed me off so much HAHA.

but i hope this was able to meet the expectations of the request!! )