Path One: Indifference

Indifference: Why should I care? (Path 1)

    Indifference answers the broad question of “Why should I care?”: 

It is none of your concern

It is not your responsibility

It’s someone else’s problem

    This is probably the straightest path to apathy that the devil can throw at you. His goal is to convince you that you shouldn’t be kind and loving toward others. This is targeted toward our fleshly instinct of selfishness; whether it is protective selfishness (“Indifference keeps me from harmful or uncomfortable situations.”), arrogant selfishness (“I’m doing so well. Their needs are their problem, not mine.”), or anything in between. However, the Bible tells us that the condition of those in our lives and around us is our concern, and it is our responsibility as believers to care about others. This responsibility is outlined simply by Jesus in the Gospels what we today call “The Golden Rule”: Love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:39). The very concept of love indicates concern for others, kindness despite how it may be repaid, and humility to understand one day- whether in the past or the future- you have suffered before. 

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were one or the other! So because you are lukewarm- neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you from My mouth.” (Revelations 3:15-16) 

“Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.” (Romans 12:16)