Chapter 17

I have no idea how the next few weeks flew by so fast. My training continued with desensitizing, foundation work, and to my dismay, more riding. I did get more comfortable with a rider though. The weeks flew by so fast that I didn't realize the falling temperature. Madison and Edward would come into the barn with big, heavy winter coats, talking about the big snowstorm on its way. 

    With the cold temperature, I did light training work, spending most of my time in the pasture or stall. When I was in the pasture, I would wear an insulated blanket with Ivy. I found it funny how I survived much colder weather in the wild without a blanket, and here in captivity, I had to wear one.  

     The stream in the pasture was frozen through, and the grass was quickly getting stale and cold. I became very grateful for the hay I knew would be waiting for me in my stall. I knew that when I was brought into the barn for the night, there would be a warm bed of shavings, fresh hay, and unfrozen water.

     One morning, I woke up to find the outside world swirling in white wonder. The flakes came down in big, fluffy flurries, and I knew it would not be fun being on the mountain with my herd. I knew that they would take shelter in the forest, their butts turned to the fierce, cold-bitting wind. 

     When Edward came into the barn, I greeted him with a warm nicker. He looked surprised to see the sudden change in attitude. "What's up with you buddy??" He asked and scratched behind my ears. I lipped up the treat he offered me, and as I munched I rubbed my face on his coat, brushing off the big snowflakes that were threatening to welcome their friends into the barn. 

     Edward hurried off to do the chores, moving faster than normal to keep himself warm. Ivy attacked her hay, greedily munching away. When Madison came in, Ivy neighed to her, dropping some of her hay over the stable door. Madison laughed and picked it up, then fed it to her. I tossed my head, then looked at her with my ears forward, eyes pleading. She laughed and gave me some attention, even giving me a second treat. "No training for you today," She said and moved aside for Edward to work. 

     I was itching to get outside and feel the bite of the wind and the snow crunch under my hooves. Edward must have understood, for he then said, "It's slowing down out there, and I'm sure these horses won't want to stay inside all day; why don't we take them for a test of skijoring?"

     "You mean where the horse runs at full speed, and a skier is being pulled on a rope, and hanging on for dear life? Yeah, I don't think so. Mom will never allow it. Plus, don't they go over jumps??" Madison said, eyebrows furrowed.

     "Sure!! You won't even be on the skies, plus, I've done downhill before. It'll be fine!!"

     Madison crossed her arms and stood her ground. Edward gave her an 'it'll be fun!' look. Madison tried not to smile but finally gave up. "Fine!! But don't blame me if something happens,"

     So, saddling up Ivy, Madison rode out and into the white wonder. I was not happy about being left alone, or not being outside. I neighed a looked out of my stall. Edward was in full snow gear and holding fat skies in one arm, while he tied a rope to Ivy's saddle. They were ignoring me!! Frustrated, I reared up, neighing loudly.

     They heard me well that time. Even Tina heard and came out. Seeing what they were doing, she questioned them. I couldn't hear the conversation, but finally, Edward came into the barn and saddled me up too. He led me out and held me quiet and calm. Tina had gone back into the house but returned in warmer clothes.

     I watched as she approached me, and put her foot in my stirrup. I shied away, and she stayed with me. Talking softly to me, she gracefully swung up. I moved forward, and Edward held me. "I don't like this idea," He said in a worried tone.

    "Well, I don't like the idea of you two riding without me," She said calmly and patted my neck. "Now, mister, you better behave. It's been a while since I've ridden," 

     Edward moved away and set himself behind Ivy.  Putting on his skies, he held the rope and tied it around his waist. Bending his knees, he told Madison to move forward. With a jolt, he moved forward as Ivy and I walked forward. I fought for my head, wanting to run in a couple of inches of snow. We walked around the yard for a little, then went behind the barn and into the empty lot. The lot was bigger than our pasture, with only a few trees. It was a big hill that gradually went upward.

     I tossed my head, wanting all my rein so I could do what I pleased. Ivy moved into a trot, then into a lope,  passing me by. Edward whooped out in joy, obviously pleased with his newfound hobby. Up the hill they went, Ivy's strides much shorter than usual because of Edward.

     Soon they were at the top, and Madison reined her steed to stop and untied the rope. Edward turned around, waved, and rushed down the hill at a rather slow pace. His skis were silent as they glided by, and as Edward turned to stop himself right next to me, a shower of snow hit my neck and head.

     He laughed as I shook myself off, and I glared at him. "How would you like to try it, boy?" He asked and handed the end of the rope to Tina. I pranced in place anticipating my turn of the fun. "Hold him in until you get past the three trees," Edward said to Tina as he readied himself. 

     Tina gave me a slight squeeze, and I almost didn't feel it, but I knew she was ready. I launched off, arching my neck and preparing to run off, despite my lack of rein. I felt a tug on my back as Edward started to move, a little faster than he wanted. "Tell him to slow down!!" He said and struggled to stay on his feet. Tina pulled on the reins, but I fought for my freedom. My stride was lengthening out and becoming smoother as I topped the hill, whizzing by Ivy and Madison. 

     I could feel Tina was enjoying feeling my power, but Edward was downright scared. I could feel his balance shifting as I went downhill, and right as Tina gave me my head, I started barreling down. Edward yelled for me to stop. Laughing, Tina responded, "He's too head-strong, I can't!"

     Just as I was almost down the hill, I felt a sudden bump in the rope as Edward fell face-first into the snow. Using her legs, seat, and hands, Tina managed to turn me around and around into a tight circle until I stopped. 

    Madison and Iy had carefully come down the hill when they saw Edward fall, and they checked on him. I watched as Madison dismounted, and walked up to the stationary body. Edward was not moving.