Chapter 4 - Signs of Reliability

One Month Later...

As I stood off to the side of the path, I waited for Miyu, this time only wearing one earbud as I waited. For the past couple weeks that my dad has been back, I've been dealing with the silence between the two of us, and with how the frustration has been getting to me, my main pick me up was hanging out with Miyu every once in a while. He stopped trying to act like a parent beyond paying for groceries after mom died, and it's not like he's ever been in town beyond a couple weeks in between business trips.

Still, I'm gonna be spending some time with Miyu today so I should try and just forget about that mess for the time being and have some fun. Today the two of us are just gonna spend some time wandering around the shopping district, going to wherever catches our interest. I just figured it'd be kind of fun and a way to learn more about each other.

Eventually I saw Miyu heading my way, rushing slightly. I raised my hand to catch her attention as I got closer. "Hey Miyu."

"Hello Y/n. I'm sorry that I'm a bit late, on my way here, I ended up running into somebody I know." Miyu said

"It's perfectly fine Miyu." I said "So is the person you ran into somebody I would know?"

"I don't think so. She is somebody who acts as my private tutor and also occasionally works as a maid for my family." Miyu said

"I see." I said. "Then I guess she's somebody you trust."

"Yeah. She occasionally teases me by calling me oujo-sama, but I feel like if I ever need advice that I can go to her." Miyu said

"That's awesome to hear. Now how about we get going?" I said

Miyu nodded and said "Alright."

The two of us wandered around, and as we saw a pet store, Miyu said "Maybe I should pick up some pellets for them."

"Who? What kind of pet do you have?" I asked

"I don't really know if you'd consider them pets, but my family has a koi tank." Miyu said. Oh right, rich girl. I forget about that sometimes.

"I see." I said

I followed her inside, and as she looked through what they had, she found what she usually got, but was interested in fish shaped ones, which she didn't get due to it feeling wrong to her to feed fish fish-shaped food.

—----------------------------------------------------

After we wandered around for a while, I said "I'll go get us something to drink. Got any requests?"

Miyu told me what she wanted and I walked off to a vending machine to order our drinks. After grabbing them, I walked back to see a guy in front of Miyu, who seemed uncomfortable.

I walked closer and said "Hey dude, can't you see she's uncomfortable?"

"Screw off" He said as he pushed me away, trying to get him to leave him alone so he can keep bothering Miyu.

In response to his push, I put Miyu's drink in my pocket then began to shake my can of soda with one hand as I pushed him out of the way to get between him and Miyu, hoping that glaring at him would make him realize he needed to leave. However, that didn't seem to work, and as he was trying to get close to me in some weird attempt to intimidate me, I pointed my soda at him and opened it, causing the soda to explode and spray him in the face. As he recoiled in response to it, I grabbed Miyu's hand and said "Come on!"

Miyu nodded and we ran off. When we finally came to a stop. I said "You okay?"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." Miyu said, slightly blushing.

"I'm sorry about that. I tried to resolve it peacefully, and after that it was the only thing I could think of to get you out of there." I said, finally realizing I was still holding onto her hand and letting go.

"It's okay Y/n, I'm just glad that you got there when you did." Miyu said

"Now, I'd hate to end this all on a sour note but after that, maybe I should just walk you home?" I said

"Alright." Miyu said

The two of us walked part way to her home when we bumped into somebody who recognized Miyu, and started walking towards us. She had purple hair and silver eyes, and seemed like she was a couple of years older than us.

"Hey there Miyu. So this is the person you were meeting up with?" she said

"That's right, this is my friend Y/n L/n." Miyu said

"I'm surprised that you have any friends who are men." she said before she turned to me "I'm Saori Hidaka. It's good to meet you."

"Likewise." I responded

"Take care of her when you're out together. Since she's been kinda sheltered I worry about her sometimes." Saori said

"Hey!" Miyu responded

"I already was going to." I said

The two of them spoke for a short bit before Hidaka said that she was meeting up with some friends in a bit and needed to go, but that she's glad to see that Miyu has made a friend outside of Arisugawa.

After we split up from Hidaka, I finished walking Miyu home, where we headed our separate ways. Although my situation still weighed in the corner of my mind, my mood was significantly improved thanks to my time with Miyu today, and I certainly will be able to keep going for a while to come.