𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

DEAR AMY   !
𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞        !

𝘩𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑙𝑖𝑐𝑦 ;

⠀⠀⠀ Amelia Allen didn't have any friends and there were a few reasons why.

⠀⠀⠀ You know that voice in your head that usually warns you not to say things you shouldn't? Amelia didn't have that. Well, maybe she did, but she chose to ignore it so often that it was practically inaudible.

⠀⠀⠀ That's probably the key source of her lack of friends — no, that's definitely the main cause as to why she didn't have any.

⠀⠀⠀ She was either too blunt for other people's liking, or too apathetic, too unkind, too blasé. It was difficult for Amelia to show others the affection and kindness most of them were used to when she hadn't been presented with either throughout her own life. And she wasn't planning on changing herself because the truth was too much for some people to handle.

⠀⠀⠀ Amelia Allen might have been a bitch but at least she was honest.

⠀⠀⠀ And, though her personality may have been the origin of her solitude, it wasn't the sole reason. Amelia liked being alone. She liked it because she was familiar with it.

⠀⠀⠀ From an absentee family to failed friendships, the girl had never felt more at home than when she was by herself.

⠀⠀⠀ Amelia came into this world alone and, as far as she was concerned, she would leave in the same fashion.

⠀⠀⠀ Though, she hadn't always thought that way. She was once a small child who begged her father to tell more stories about her mother, longing to one day meet the woman who brought her into this wonderful world. Then, suddenly she was a teenager, waiting for days on end for her father to return home, cursing him for leaving her in such a desolate place.

⠀⠀⠀ Through all the things she'd seen and people she'd met, loneliness was the one thing that never left her side.

⠀⠀⠀ Years passed by and cigarettes burned out, but the shadowy veil stuck with her. Enclosing her heart, blocking out the warmth usually provided by love and affection, wrapping the beating vessel in a coat of frost. Over time, the ice thickened, each significant event in her life adding another layer, hardening the once joyful young girl.

⠀⠀⠀ There was a period when she believed she could remove the ever-present shadow from her heart, but as more time went by, she came to realise that there wasn't a cure for her loneliness, so she stopped looking for one. She no longer tried to make friends, only to have them turn their back when she did or said something they didn't like, and she ceased the endless letters she would send her father in hopes that he would someday respond.

⠀⠀⠀ She found that the aloneness was addictive once the pain of being desolate slowly relented, and she merely continued to exist in her own safe space – her own bubble that she was sure couldn't be popped by anyone but herself.

⠀⠀⠀ Then again, at that moment in time, she had never formerly met Sirius Black. Though there was nothing formal about their first meeting, the boy had indeed burst her bubble.

⠀⠀⠀ Amelia wasn't fond of the four Gryffindors known as the Marauders. She had fallen victim to one too many of their pranks to be able to put up with their shenanigans for a long period of time.

⠀⠀⠀ Not to mention the times (yes, times. As in, more than once) Sirius Black had managed to poke her in the eye with his wand. The boy had assured her that it was an accident, but his apologies didn't cure her bloodshot eye, nor did it make her like him any better.

⠀⠀⠀ Upon their first few encounters, the girl was quite certain she had never met anyone as ridiculously loud and outlandishly dramatic in her life, but then she was introduced to James Potter during quidditch season, and that assumption was thrown out the window.

⠀⠀⠀ All in all, Amelia didn't particularly like the four Gryffindor boys. And, before you ask, no, Amelia was definitely not holding a grudge for the number of times she had almost lost her eye due to Sirius' careless wand waving, as well as the numerous occasions their stupid pranks had made her late for class. Or, when Peter Pettigrew spilt ink all over her notes when they were partnered together in Herbology during second year. Let's not forget the time one of their pranks caused each book Amelia opened to literally scream in her face, resulting in her being banned from the library for a week. A week! As if it was her fault!

⠀⠀⠀Okay, so maybe she was a little bitter, can you really blame her? It was right before a History of Magic exam!

⠀⠀⠀ But it appeared this year, Sirius Black had made it his sole purpose to annoy Amelia Allen to death. No, she was not being dramatic. She had just sat through a whole period of Potions partnered up with the boy who spent more time annoying a certain Slytherin than actually helping her. She would have been fine working on her own were it not for the regular interruptions of "are you sure you're doing it right?" and the occasional Sopophorous bean flying in her direction.

⠀⠀⠀ She wasn't sure whether there was something in the air or if she had just not been paying enough attention the past five years, but Amelia was sure that he had previously not been this annoying.

⠀⠀⠀ After all, how many times could she tell him to fuck off before he actually fucked off?

⠀⠀⠀ The previous question is exactly how she found herself arguing with him outside of Professor Slughorn's classroom.

⠀⠀⠀ "I don't care what you do when you're not near me," she huffed in exasperation, hauling her bag further up her shoulder, "but for the love of God, keep your stupid antics out of my proximity."

⠀⠀⠀ "Careful, Allen." Sirius began in a scolding manner, his friends standing behind him, trying to listen in which only irritated Amelia further, "It's starting to sound like you don't enjoy my company."

⠀⠀⠀ "I don't." Amelia deadpanned. "I don't like you or your company. And I never will, got it?"

⠀⠀⠀ She watched his brows raise ever so slightly, his lips curling as a vaguely familiar look crossed his features. She'd seen that look, up close and from a distance in her years as his classmate. It was the same look he would get when one of his friends dared him to do something, and it would appear again when someone told him not to do it and he'd decide to anyway.

⠀⠀⠀ She hated that look — she also hated that she knew that look.

⠀⠀⠀ "No. No." she pointed an assertive finger in his direction, "That was not a challenge invitation. Do you understand me?"

⠀⠀⠀ He was nodding his head, but a smirk was still present on his face.

⠀⠀⠀ "Black?" Amelia raised her brows.

⠀⠀⠀ "Yes?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Do. You. Understand. Me?" She put an emphasis on each word, hoping he would actually get the message.

⠀⠀⠀ The boy nodded his head with a dramatically woeful look on his face, his long hair shifting with the movement, "Of course."

⠀⠀⠀ Amelia knew his response was too theatric to be genuine, but she also knew that she would be late for Charms if she continued this pointless conversation.

⠀⠀⠀ So, with an eye roll, she turned her back and made her way out of the dungeons. Not two seconds later, Sirius' lips curved upwards, that stupid smirk appearing once again.

⠀⠀⠀ Would Sirius Black really be Sirius Black if he gave up that easily?