Chapter 3 : The First Day

There was no doubt that high school was much different than middle school. The Eden Hall Academy was huge-- almost like a college campus. There were separate buildings for almost every topic: a science building, mathematics building, etc. Currently the ducks were in a classroom with an ant farm in the middle of class.

"Hey, check it out. He knows Wayne Newton," one of the ducks pointed out.

Kenny walked over to Indiana, who had been counting ants next to Charlie. "Charlie, man, this is not a good start to our year."

Charlie sighed, "Don't worry, Kenny. These prepsters aren't gonna do anything to us."

Indiana continued, "if anyone bothers you let me know. I can be very persuasive." The two boys laughed as Indiana cracked her knuckles in an attempt to act intimidating.

"Check it out. Antsville. Look at 'em go," expressed Charlie, walking over to join Indiana at the ant farm. The rest of the team joined them, all watching as each ant took a different path.

Suddenly, a voice from the other side of the glass spoke up, "You can learn a lot from ants. These Brazilian fire ants can teach you a lot about successful societal structure." Buckley waved the group over to a certain part of the glass. "Come here. You see there's one queen in there. The rest are dedicated worker ants. Everybody pulls their weight. Nobody complains. There's harmony and growth. Same here at Eden Hall. Only you are the workers, the backbone."

"And you're the queen?" Russ asked, causing the group to snicker at Buckley, who grimaced at them.

Adam Banks watched Indiana out of the corner of his eye as she laughed, quickly placing her right hand over her mouth and covering it. He admired her smile for the mere moment that he could see it, instantly causing him to smile. The two of them hadn't had much time to speak alone, as the team had been spending every moment together. Even after being invited to Indiana's room, the rest of the ducks had tagged along, ruining any chance of the two speaking alone.

Adam watched as Charlie walked away from Indiana's side with Kenny. Adam took this moment to walk over to the girl and stand beside her, his arm lightly brushing against hers. Indiana's glance shot up, meeting Adam's eyes.

"Oh, hey Adam," Indiana smiled up at him.

"Hi Indie," he responded, the bell disrupting any further conversation to be had. "Can I walk you to class?" Adam held out his hand for her, grinning down at her. Indiana smiled back, agreeing to walk with him before taking his hand. Adam smiled back down at his shoes, pulling her along as she laughed.

"Gross," muttered Averman, Connie almost immediately smacking him alongside the back of his head. Adam and Indiana led the rest of the boys and Connie to their next class. Adam and Indiana sat in desks next to each other, eventually letting go of each other's hands.

"Every Monday you'll have a practice quiz, every Wednesday you'll have a real quiz, every Friday you'll have an exam, and anytime I feel like it you'll have a surprise quiz or exam," one of their teachers stated, causing each and every student to widen their mouths in shock. Their last class of the day seemed less stressful, but somehow stranger. The man utilized a puppet for dramatization, placing it on top of a book.

"It's been said that the present is to the past like a dwarf on the shoulders of a giant. If the dwarf holds his seat, he can, indeed, see further than the giant. But beware if the dwarf should grow careless and forget his place," the man slammed his book down on Fulton's desk, causing everyone to look back up at him with wide eyes. "History is a giant. Get ready to ride."

Indiana let out a gruff breath after the bell rang, signaling the end of that insanely weird history lesson. She waved goodbye to Adam, as she would later see him at the rink for their first practice.