My Life

My name is Cameron Fredricks, I am thirteen years old, and yes I am an orphan.

When I was three my parents were crossing a street and a truck came spreading through the red light and crushed them.

I remember sitting on the steps at school waiting for either my mom or dad to come and pick me up, when a woman came up to me and took me to the house to pack my things.

I grabbed a suitcase of clothes and my stuffed bunny rabbit named Bonnie and left with the lady. She took me here.

To Mrs. Johnston's Home for Children. I was really scared because of what I had heard about orphanages, but when I got here everyone was nice and sympathetic towards me!

I soon met a girl named Jamie her brother named Thomas and we became really close and we still are to this day.

I grew up in that orphanage and finally at the age of twelve I was finally the oldest kid in the joint.

I had pretty much given up hope on getting adopted so I focused everything I had on helping the younger kids get adopted.

I helped the ones who needed help with their homework, I helped with a lot of the chores around the home, and I helped teach the kids.

A lot of the times a little five or six year old will walk up to me and tell me that I inspire them. I tear up with happiness every time that happens.

I looked after this one little three year old in particular. Her name was Amy and her story was very similar to mine.

Both her parents died from a car accident and she also had a personality like mine. Finally last year on her fourth birthday, she got adopted by two wonderful parents.

I remember as she walked out the door I remember her yelling, "Wait! I wanna say Bu by to Camz!"

She then waddled quickly over to me and said, "Uppy!" while lifting her arms up. I smiled down at her and lifted her up for a hug.

She swiftly wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and hugged me tight. "I'll miss you Mommy!" She whispered.

Those four words were the last I ever heard out if her. I then kissed her and carried her over to her new parents who picked her up and carried her outside as she waved bye.

I remember crying my eyes out that night. Anyways, I am still firmly devoted to the kids at the home like they are my own.

But today was gonna be the day I knew I was wrong. Today was the day my life started.