Chapter 3

WARNING: death by mention
Rip POV
I just walked down the stairs to get me and Haley's dinner to take back up to her room. Beth came around the corner and stopped me and put her hands on my chest and run them down until I grabbed her hands and stopped them. I walked away pissed that she would do this in her house with her family right there. Beth always asks me to go against her father's word. I can't, her father took me in after my father killed my mom and sister and I killed him. I don't even like her like that. Even though I'm closer in age to Beth, I simply can't stand her and her annoying talking. Mr. Dutton walked in the kitchen and called me to him and asked "Is Haley okay and where is she?" I replied "She asked if we could have dinner in her room tonight because she wasn't up to seeing other people." Mr. Dutton nodded and made both mine and her plates. I carefully carried our plates of food upstairs when I heard footsteps behind me. I simply glanced to see Mr. Dutton following me up with two cups of drinks in hand. We made it to Haley's room to see her asleep holding the blanket Lee gave her. Mr. Dutton looked at me and said "Rip let's leave her drink and food downstairs and you can eat up here or down with us." I replied "as much as I love eating at the table with you guys, tonight I rather eat up here" he could tell something happened to me before I made it downstairs. He nodded and asked "Did something happen to you boy?" I simply nodded and said "Sir I don't know how to really explain it." We both sat down on the end of Haley's bed and talked while she slept. Mr. Dutton asked if my problem was Beth. Then Beth walked right into the room grabbing my hand, making me drop my plate making a mess. Haley shot up in fear that Frank was back. Mr. Dutton nodded at me for Haley and I walked over and sat down next to her. While he walked Beth out. I could tell by the look on his face that he was pissed at Beth for causing problems.
John POV (Same time as Rip is taking Haley upstairs)
I watched Rip carefully carry my little daughter upstairs and made sure they were in her room before I hunted Frank down. I finally find him in the bunkhouse with the rest of the ranch hands talking and playing poker. Lloyd looked up as the door opened and asked "is there a problem sir?" I didn't answer him and walked straight to Frank grabbing him by the collar of his shirt dragging him out into the circle rink. He pushed off asked "what the heck is this about sir?" I simply said "you hurt my daughter." Frank laughed in my face like I was joking. Lloyd and Colby simply watched keeping a close eye on the window my little girl Haley. Frank and I fought until Lloyd handed me my gun from my horse and I pointed at Frank and he begged "please sir , she asked me to do." I simply couldn't listen to his lies anymore. Once he was died, I had Lloyd and Colby take him somewhere on the ranch and bury him. I cleaned my hands off in the bunkhouse before making my way into my house. When I walked in I heard Beth downstairs at the table talking to Jamie and Kayce about god knows what. I also heard the water upstairs going and talking. I knew Rip was up there with Haley so I carefully walked the stairs to see Haley in the bathtub with Rip sitting next to it holding hands. I quietly turned away and closed the door.

Time jump to dinner John POV
I heard Rip's boots on the wooden stairs letting us know he was coming down but I didn't hear little bare feet or other shoes. Then Beth stood happily from her seat and walked over to the stairs where I couldn't see her. I'm not quite sure what she did to Rip just now but I knew he didn't like it. I simply asked "Rip is Haley okay and where is she?" Before Rip could answer Beth made an angry face and huffed. I looked back at Rip and he said "Haley is fine, she just asked if we could eat upstairs." I nodded making him and my daughter's plates before handing to him and asking what did you guys want to drink. We settled for tea. I poured two cups and followed up the stairs. The second he heard my shoes, he glanced to see me carrying two cups of drinks. We made it to Haley's room to found her sound asleep holding Lee's blanket. That still smelled like Evelyn after all this time.
I looked to Rip and said "Rip let's leave her food and drink downstairs and you eat down with us or up here with her." Rip replied "as much as I love eating downstairs with you guys, tonight I rather eat up here." I could immediately tell something happened to him before he made it into the dining room. I nodded and asked "Rip did something happen to you boy?" I simply nodded and said "sir, I don't know how to really explain it." We sat down on the end of Haley's bed talking while Rip ate. I asked "is Beth the problem?" Before he could answer me, the door opened showing Beth. Who walked in and grabbed Rip's making his stand and spill his plate all over the floor. Haley shoot up at the noise, freaking out. I nodded to her for Rip and he walked over to her to calm her down. While I picked up the spilled food and grabbed Beth and walked out. I was absolutely pissed at the way Beth was behaving tonight.
Haley POV

 The next morning, I woke up to feel an arm draped over me and glanced to see Rip peacefully sleeping

The next morning, I woke up to feel an arm draped over me and glanced to see Rip peacefully sleeping. I gently worked my way out of his arms and went to get dressed for my day. Once I was fully dressed, Rip was awake sightless freaking out. He looked up once he heard my boots and said "Haley, I'm glad you're okay, I woke up and you were gone." I sat down next to him and said "I'm sorry, I just wanted to get up and get dressed for today." He gave me and hug and we walked downstairs to breakfast. I could tell by the way Beth was sitting, that she had gotten whippings. I quietly sat down and ate the breakfast Gator made for us. Once my father, Rip and I were done, Beth was long gone. We all got up and walked outside to the barn. Where I freaked out thinking Frank was there. My papa saw and said "sweetheart, Frank is gone. I took care of him." I smiled at him as a thank you.
I was excited because today my papa and older brother Lee were going to teach how to ride and safely be around horses. The only siblings I ever saw ride before were Lee, Jamie and Kayce. Rip could tell I was nervous and reached over and grabbed my hand saying "you'll be fine." I smiled as Lee helped me up onto the horse. Lee and Rip taught me everything about horses in a matter of 2 hours. My papa simply watched as they taught everything papa had taught them. When papa decided I was ready to ride, Rip, Lee and papa all hopped on their horses and Lee tied a rope to mine so he could help me steer the horse. After riding for about 10 minutes, I looked to Lee and said "Lee take the rope, I'm ready" he smiled and untied the rope letting me guide the horse. Lee showed me how to speed up and slow down and then Lee looked and me the same I turned to him and he nodded and kicked until his horse took off. I could hear him calling me so I kicked and off my horse went after him. Papa turned when he heard horse's hoofs. Smiling at the fact that it was my first day on a horse and I was racing towards them with Lee. Being on horseback, made me feel free after what had happened. That moment on I know riding horses would be my everything and a new getaway.
John POV
  The moment I saw Haley and Lee racing towards us. I glanced to Rip and smiled taking off towards the river. I was first then Rip and then Haley and last was Lee. Haley was smiling and so happy she beat Lee to the river. We hoped off and tied our horses to the a tree and sat down. Haley walked over close to Rip and sat down. He put his arm around her and they leaned into each other. Lee looked at me saying "you know I let her win" I smiled back saying "yea sure you did, you're just mad an 11 year old little girl beat you." We both laughed. We sat until the sun had settled and Haley had fallen asleep on Rip. I held Haley until Rip was up and sitting on his horse and handed her to him. He softly kicked off towards the house. I followed with mine and Haley's horses. Lee was next me as we rode back and said "You know, one day they may end up together" I smiled saying "now that would not be a bad thing." We finished the ride in silence.