―i. home for the holidays

"ALL RIGHT, AT EASE!" Michael ordered, somehow managing not to pant despite having just put his cohort through the world's worst set of drills. "Good work today. Enjoy the break, but be ready to go extra hard in the new year."

The First Cohort groaned and croaked their complaints, but Michael was merciless when it came to training. Isaac had no idea what his brother saw in him.

"This is why they like me better," Isaac wheezed, holding his side as he tried to breathe through a stitch.

Michael raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "And which one of us has a World's Best Centurion mug?"

"Neither of us if I smash it," Isaac croaked, groaning as he dropped onto his butt. He was pretty sure his feet were bleeding profusely. Curse him for trying to lead the pack—he was not a runner.

"I'm breaking up with you," Adrien announced, dropping onto the dirt like a Victorian woman swooning. "This is cruel. Completely unusual. Total violation of my fourth amendment rights."

"Eighth amendment," Isaac corrected breathlessly. "This is why you failed ninth grade."

"I'll kill you," Adrien croaked. "Once I can move again."

Michael put his hands on his hips, raising an unimpressed eyebrow at the brothers. "If you can threaten murder, you're fine," he said, nudging Adrien's side with the toe of his shoe. He held his hand out. "Come on."

With an exaggerated groan, Adrien let Michael pull him to his feet.

When Michael held his hand out for Isaac, he panted, "Just leave me here to die."

"Cry baby," Adrien croaked.

"Bitch boy," Isaac replied.

Michael rolled his eyes. "Nu-uh, I don't want to have to find another centurion," he said, forcibly grabbing Isaac's arms and tugging him upright. Isaac whined pathetically but got to his feet, only wavering a little. 

Michael patted his shoulder, nearly sending him back to the ground. "Go shower, you both stink."

"Well, not all of us are children of Venus who always smell like roses," Adrien complained.

"Peonies," Michael corrected. "I ran out of the rose-scented body wash last week."

Adrien rolled his eyes, but his expression was undeniably fond.

Isaac pretended to gag, earning a smack in the head from Adrien. If Isaac wasn't dying of exhaustion, he would've retaliated—though he made a mental note to get back at his brother later. He was centurion now—he was well within his rights to assign Adrien bathroom duties for the next three months.

Isaac left Michael and his brother, knowing it was about to get gross and mushy. Michael was flying home to Hawaii to spend winter break with his mortal mother and step-family, which meant Adrien would spend half of the next three weeks moping.

He showered in the barracks—since it was closer to the training grounds—before making his way to New Rome, stopping at the post office along the way. There was nothing waiting for him. He'd gotten used to the weekly letters from Camp Half-Blood, but it had been ten days since the last.

It's almost Christmas, he reminded himself. People get busy.

That didn't quell the quiet disappointment he felt, though.

Usually, Isaac would've gone straight to his family's house, but it was Friday, which meant the weekly Patterson family dinner.

And this time, all of the Pattersons would be in attendance.