Chapter Two - "The Sisters"

Y/n woke to the sound of a certain ponytail-wearing writer shaking her awake.

"What the- Alex? What do you want? It's too early." She mumbled, still half asleep and not really ready to face the day yet.

"Y/n, it's only a little after dawn, don't be like that. Besides, I need to go into town again." He says.

Y/n opens her eyes to see her brother already dressed, shoes and all. She groans and pulls the sheets above her head once more. "You don't need me to come with you, Alex. You're a grown man." She stated and rolled to her side.

He huffed and said something under his breath and walked out, only to come back in and set a cup of her favorite flavor of tea on her small bedside table.

She hears the click of the cup and the saucer and looks up questioningly at her companion.

He sighs. "I just wanted to say thank you for coming with me all this way. I know it hurt you leaving the people in the Caribbean, but you pushed pass it - for me, and I could never repay you for that." He says and sits on her bed where her legs aren't.

She sits up and pushes her h/c locks away from her face. She smiles a bit and nods at him and reaches over and takes a sip of the tea, it's nice and warm. Not too scolding and not too freezing either.

She looks back at him and asks a question that she's been conjuring up. "What is the real reason you wanted to come to the main land. I mean, you said it was for college and I do believe that's the truth, but I do also believe that there's something else behind the reasoning of our voyage. So, what is it?" She asks, sipping her tea and looking over the cup at Alexander.

He looks down and plays with his fingers in his lap and says something, but it didn't pass her ears quite well. "I'm sorry?"

"I want to go into the war." He finally said after a pause.

She looks at him with wide eyes. She thought maybe there had been a less dangerous reason. Like a woman or something, but not this.

"T-the war? Alexander, what? So you brought me all the way here and now you're going to just leave me again and risk being one of many casualties on the front stands. I'm sorry, but no, I don't allow you to go out like that." She says. Alexander looks at her with sorrow and a hint of anger in his eyes.

"Not without me, of course. If you're going, I'm coming too." Now that took him into complete shock. He couldn't stand the thought of you even getting hurt in the slightest way, that broke him.

"What? You're insane! I am not letting you go out there! You'll get hurt or killed, I can't let that happen to you." He flailed his arms while he talked, showing that his anxiety is sky rocketing.

She looked at him and shook her head, smiling. "That's why I'm going! I'm going to make sure you don't die, along with the other men out there. I've always wanted to help, you know this, and this is my shot."

He sighed, knowing he couldn't stop her, even if he tried his hardest, she was his sister after all.

"Okay, fine. But, if you even get the slightest scratch on you, you're coming back. Got it, y/n? I just don't want you hurt." He said, holding her hands tightly.

She smiled. "Of course, you have my word on it."

She shooed him out of the room and got dressed, she wondered what the reason for his trip to the town for a second time was.

After getting her dress and corset tied and set, she went downstairs to find her brother.

Alexander was standing by the door, beckoning for her to hurry up.