⚡️ Chapter 30 ⚡️

On Aragog's words, Vega spun around and stumbled back as she stared at the sight above her. Feet away, towering above her and her friends, was a solid wall of spiders, clicking, their many eyes gleaming in their ugly black heads. Vega knew that there was no way that they were just fooling around.

Vega jumped to her feet, pulling out her wand from her sleeve but her hand shook as she tried to think of something to do. Her mind swirled with all sorts of defensive and offensive spells.

"Baubillious!" Vega cried, the tip of her wand shooting a jet of white sparks toward the spiders, making them more and more angry as Harry, Ron and Fang rushed to move behind her out of fear.

Even if they had managed to get the initial attack by the spiders away, Vega didn't know what else to do but whatever her wand was guiding her to do. Her hand jerked around, shooting the spiders away.

Then, out of nowhere, there was a loud, long note and a blaze of light flamed through the hollow.

Mr. Weasley's car was thundering down the slope, headlights glaring, its horn screeching, knocking spiders aside; several were thrown onto their backs, their endless legs waving in the air. The car screeched to a halt in front of Vega, Harry, Ron and Fang and the doors flew open.

"Get Fang!"

Adrenaline pumped through their bodies as Harry jumped into the front seat, followed closely by Ron. Vega jerked her wand away from shooting at the spiders and grabbed the large boarhound around the middle, throwing him quickly into the back, yelping and she herself dove behind him.

The doors slammed shut – Ron didn't touch the accelerator but the car didn't need him at all; the engine roared and they were off, hitting more spiders.

They sped up the slope, out of the hollow, and they were soon crashing through the forest, branches whipping the windows as the car wound its way cleverly through the widest gaps, following a path it obviously knew. Vega held onto the seat tightly to keep herself from flying, and she held Fang down, too.

"Are you okay?"

It was Harry who asked this strange question in the middle of their joyriding journey, and Vega wasn't even sure who he had been questioning. Both Vega and Ron only stared ahead, speechless.

They smashed their way through the undergrowth, Fang howling loudly in the back seat, and Vega saw the side mirror snap off as they squeezed past a large oak. She gritted her teeth as they continued.

After ten noisy, rocky minutes, the trees thinned, and Vega could finally see patches of sky again. The car stopped so suddenly that they were nearly thrown into the windshield.

They had reached the edge of the forest.

Fang flung himself at the window in his anxiety to get out, and when Vega opened the door, he shot off through the trees to Hagrid's house, tail between his legs, making her fall out onto the ground as well.

Harry got out too, and after a minute or so, Ron seemed to regain the feeling in his limbs and followed, still stiff-necked and staring. Vega pushed herself onto her feet and heaved heavily.

"Thanks," Vega breathed as she stared at the powder-blue yet wildly dirty car, watching as it reversed back into the forest and then disappeared off from view.

"I'm going to go... get the cloak," Harry muttered and went after Fang into Hagrid's cabin, leaving Vega and Ron unsure what to do outside.

But then, Vega noticed that Ron's face was turning green and she quickly pulled him behind the nearest bushes – though he ended up throwing up behind the pumpkin patch. Vega didn't like watching people like this but she reached out to rub his back as he emptied his stomach of his dinner.