The Investigation

Because I could not stop for Death
                                     He kindly stopped for me

                                           -Emily Dickinson

"When was the last time you saw Kendra?"

"I- I think it was Tuesday. I'm not sure," Amy stammered.

"Did Kendra have anyone that she upset? Or anyone that has anything against her?" The detective patiently asked.

"No, everyone liked Kendra. I still can't believe anyone would...Kill her." Amy replied while shaking her head vehemently.

"Well I don't have anymore questions for today so you're free to go."

*************

Everyone was quiet as they sat in the living room, it was as though the world sensed that they were mourning. There were no morning birds singing their songs or spring breeze, instead the air was somber and all that could be heard were the cars driving by and the soft sound of crying.

The five friends were buried in their thoughts with one question in mind, who killed Kendra?

Elijah finally spoke, breaking the silence.

"Kendra's mom wants us to speak at the funeral."
Brenda sharply inhaled.
"I can't believe she's dead," Brenda's voice shook. "Who could have killed her?"

"Makyla and Kendra were fighting before it happened, that could have something to do with it," Micheal mumbled.
Makykla was the only one that wasn't with them yet.

"I don't think we should be pointing fingers, it's far too soon for that," Amy protested.

"It's not my fault for suspecting them, maybe the fight escalated?" Michael argued, feeling conflicted.

"We all know that Makyla isn't a violent person," Elijah stated with furrowed brows. Everyone already knew that but the need to point fingers so they could direct their anger towards someone was strong.

They all say in silence for a few seconds before they heard the door open and saw Makyla walk in with bloodshot eyes.

"Is it really true?" They whispered. No one answered. Makyla raised their voice "It can't be true... I saw her yesterday, she was fine yesterday."

" it's true... " Brenda choked out.

Makyla broke down crying, "I never apologized, I never got to say sorry." Makyla kept repeating to themself. 

Amy walked over and got Makyla some water. It seemed that no one knew what to say as Makyla blamed themself.

"You shouldn't blame yourself," Elijah whispered.

After a few minutes everyone got settled down.

"There looking for the murderer and they suspect that one of us...killed her," Michael said , staring at Makyla.