Chapter 2: Stars and Stripes

As Izuku sat himself down on the airplane seat, he looked out the window to his side and noticed All Might, back in his muscular, much more recognizable form waving with a big glowing smile. Of course, that's the face he's always making.

Although, he was sure All Might knew where he was sitting. And yet his wave was slightly off, like he was waving at the open hatch that lead out to the steps down. And that was several seats back.

"Deku!"

The boy turned and saw Uraraka and his class representative Iida, each in their costumes and pulling small suitcases behind them.

"Greetings, Midoriya!" Iida bowed his head. "Uraraka, it's time we find our assigned seats."

Uraraka smiled and sat down in the bench just across the aisle from Izuku.

"Are you sure that's your seat?" The taller, blue-haired boy asked.

"Oh relax, Iida. We're the only passengers on this flight. I'm sure no one will mind. Besides, we didn't receive written tickets for this trip with numbers."

"Egads!" Iida exclaimed. "Well... I suppose you're right. Therefore, I shall sit here to keep you two out of trouble." He stated as he sat himself in the seat next to Izuku, closest to the aisle.

For some reason, deep down, it disappointed Uraraka. But she didn't pay too much attention to that. Her two favorite friends were there.

"What are you guys doing here?" Izuku finally asked them.

"They didn't tell you?" Iida cocked his pointy eyebrow. "Mr. Aizawa insisted that we accompany you on this mission. It could provide a great learning opportunity, after all!"

Uraraka nodded along. "Mr. Aizawa told us about it. That you were called by one of America's top pro-heroes for an assignment and that you shouldn't go off alone. And then he mentioned something about All Might not being the best at sending students off on dangerous missions? Between you and me, All Might is the best hero, but he certainly doesn't always seem to know what he's doing teaching."

Izuku sighed. "Well... Thank you. Is it just you guys?"

"Yes. Mr. Aizawa didn't want to jeopardize the American heroes and their mission by sending more than necessary. But that also means we shouldn't discuss what happens when we return. It wouldn't be fair to the others missing out." Iida instructed.

"By the way, are you gonna be comfortable enough for the flight, Iida?" The chestnut-haired girl asked. "Your hero costume doesn't look all that cushioned."

"You may have a point..." He answered as he looked down at his bulky armor pieces. "But I shall manage. Heroes should be prepared for anything regardless of circumstances."

"True, but they should also take any advantages they have of preparing for a mission." Uraraka added. "In fact, since the flight is so long and I brought additional clothes, I think I'll change."

"N-Not until we've taken off!" Iida warned her.

"Fine fine." She sighed.

Izuku, meanwhile, was staring out the window, vaguely listening to his friends, but still stuck in that question Uraraka asked. Why did it stump him so much?

He remembered his father working so far away, it's like he doesn't even exist. So to cope, he turned to a shining example of a fatherly figure in his life. The first was All Might. That gleaming titan on the television that always comforted people with a laugh and a smile, no matter what situation he, and they, were in.

He wanted to be just like that. But why? Every time he tried to be like him, he failed. Bullies like Bakugo would beat him up and any kid he was standing up for. And yet his drive to become a hero never ceased. Even if middle school was especially hopeless years later.