4

I said I'd try and keep the timeline right, but alas, I did not. In fact, I didn't try at all. I had an idea and I decided I'm running with it.

~

With Kelli's quick progression at the start of her career, it had also began to become stagnant. There wasn't much she could really continue on with in her Department. Not that she was unhappy with that. As things with work became more routine over the years, that gave her more opportunities for outside interests.

For a few of those years, she had invested quite a lot into her home. Had planned things to be how she liked everything. The last room she had put in was her office. Because that's where she decided she was going to put all her books and the moment that became installed into her house, that was probably where most of her income was going to go. Straight into books.

Elizabeth and Lauren were her most frequent visitors, even when she wasn't there. But Kelli didn't mind that at all. Elizabeth still lived with her family and often liked to pop by to get out of her house and get some alone time at Kelli's.

Lauren lived a rather nomadic lifestyle. She didn't stay in one place for very long and simply enjoyed her life. However, that meant that she didn't necessarily have anywhere permanent to live and Kelli was more than happy to have her stay. She wasn't fussed by either of them. They'd basically lived together for seven years and knew how to live with each other.

After one particularly busy day at work which had ended up with Kelli bringing work home, there was a letter at her desk and a barn owl sitting on her own owl's favourite perch. She briefly glanced around to see her tawny owl, which she had fondly named Eugene, at the window sill staring in.

Eugene didn't seem happy about this arrangement.

"I suppose you were asked to stay for a reply, hm?" Kelli asked the barn owl, pulling open her drawer for a treat for the mysterious owl.  Not Eugene's favourite treats though, he would probably ignore Kelli for a month if she dared. After she fed the owl a treat which it happily took, she opened up the letter.

'To Kelli Watson.

I've heard from a great many people of your accomplishments and I would love to have the pleasure of your company for tea. I heard that you were placed in Hufflepuff while you attended Hogwarts. Prefect and Head Girl, too. You see, I'm Hepzibah Smith, a descendent of Helga Hufflepuff and I would love to see what kind of person you are. Please send a reply back with my owl if you would be able to join me this weekend at 11am? If so, all you need to do is Floo to my home.

I look forward to your reply, I sincerely hope that you are available.

Hepzibah Smith.'

Kelli reread the letter. She wasn't expecting anything like that. She grabbed a small roll of parchment and started to write out her reply that she would be free to join her for tea before sending the owl off.

Seconds after the owl left, Eugene was back on his perch. Kelli gave him some of his favourite treats, saying, "Look at you, being patient, aren't you absolutely wonderful?"

She gave Eugene a gentle pat on his head before sitting down and pulling out her work. Hepzibah Smith was, if she remembered correctly, the person who had Helga Hufflepuff's teacup before Riddle got it off of her and made it into a horcrux. She sighed. She'd probably have to resort to less than pleasant means to get that cup before he did.

"You're looking particularly... serious today," Lauren's voice came from the doorway. Kelli looked up. She'd been so focused on work that she hadn't noticed her walk in.

"I do?" Kelli asked, "I was just focused, I guess. What's up?" she asked as Lauren walked into the office and stood behind a chair in front of Kelli's desk.

Lauren was quiet for a moment before she then hummed and said, "I got the feeling earlier that I should be here."

Then Kelli was quiet for a few seconds. "Ah. That's, what, the first time you've felt that since school?"

"Yes, and that was... a lot. Do you have any idea why?"

Kelli did know why, but she couldn't make any indication as to what. That was something that rarely ever happened these days, where she couldn't find herself able to speak. She tapped her fingers and said, "I was invited to tea this weekend by the Heir of Hufflepuff, that's really the only thing of note that's happened."

She hummed again before taking a seat in front of Kelli. "Almost all the time, back in school, it was usually Riddle."

Kelli leaned back in her seat before saying, "He was always obsessed with Hogwarts, especially when he found out he was the Heir of Slytherin."

"Do you think he knows Hufflepuff's descendant?"

"It's ... possible. He became interested in the Grey Lady when he discovered that she was Ravenclaw's daughter."

Lauren's eyebrows lifted at this. "She was?"

Kelli smiled sheepishly and said, "I guess I forgot to tell you guys back then."

"How did you know he knew?"

"The same way I found out she was. The House Elves," she answered, not a total lie, they were the reason she could speak about it, "they knew a lot about what was going on in that school, a few enjoyed a good gossip, especially about students they didn't like."

"Huh. Didn't know that. They didn't like him?"

"He was up late a lot, apparently. Liked wandering the castle in the night. Got away with it because he was a prefect, the head boy, and awarded with special services to the school," she told Lauren with a shrug. Then she sighed. "Looks like he and I couldn't stop knowing each other existed after school, huh?"

"Apparently not," Lauren replied then she smiled. "Oh the enemies to lovers story is practically fated, except both of you are too stubborn."

"Hey hey, if you're gonna be a seer for my love life, how about you don't?" Kelli told her, her expression serious, but only for a moment before she started to giggle. "There's a chance it's not Riddle, though?"

"Don't know yet, can't go reading your tea leaves when you don't have any tea to read."

"Well maybe if you didn't keep taking my tea whenever you leave here, I'd have some."

"Mm, not going to stop doing that."

Kelli reached into her bag and gave her a few galleons. More than enough for tea. "Go buy some, then. I'm currently trying to do overtime work," Kelli said, gesturing to the rolls of parchment on her desk.

"Alright. I'll give you some time to finish all that too," Lauren told her before getting up and leaving.