Take a Walk

After waiting with John to decide if he was going to take the serum or not, the last known dose in existence, you realized that this was going to make your plan that much more difficult, and you might need a little help. He had yet to take it, his mind running all scenarios and his self-doubt seemed to be getting the upper hand. His friend Lamar kept on about how if given the opportunity, he would take it, and you had to fight the urge to shut him up yourself. Still, it kept John pacing the moral path for a while longer and you'd take any time you could get. You hoped that you could bide that time just a little longer before things got out of your control, but still, it wouldn't hurt to have some backup ready.

That meant making a call that you dreaded to your soul. It meant groveling, and apologizing, and saying things that you didn't mean just quite yet. It meant having to distract Walker enough for you to leave his sights, and convincing Sam and Bucky to let you back into their trust. It made you long for the days when things were simple; the team was whole, missions were meticulously planned and executed, and Tony was there to have your back.

What would Tony think of you now? Would he be proud of your perseverance to do what you believed was right, or would he be chasing you to the ends of the Earth to get you back to the safety of home without a care as to who might be hurt without your help? Who were you kidding? You knew the answer to that.

"So, did you make a decision yet? Gonna man up and go for it?"

"Not yet," John answered flatly. "I need to be sure that I do this right. At the right time."

"Well, until you do, you're really of no use to me.," you told him, knowing exactly what that would do to a man as broken as he was. He tried to look like a pillar of strength, but you could see through that façade now that you'd spent some time with the guy. He had no confidence of his own, only what people convinced him that he had. People like Lamar who thought they were helping him, only to actually be creating the problem that was about to reach a pinnacle that no one could've expected.

"I'm no use to you?" he scoffed. "When did this power flip happen?"

"When you least expected it, Walker," you smiled coldly, no emotion behind it. "You make a big mistake in underestimating me, and you've made me more powerful than ever. Kinda brought this on yourself." With that, you turned and left the room, refusing to look back to be sure that he wasn't trying to follow you out. Once you were sure that he was going to stay behind and the door shut solidly behind you, you took out your phone with a groan under your breath and a shaky hand dialing a number that you had hoped to avoid, along with the person who was about to answer.

"Hey, Buck. It's me."

~~~

Sam hadn't realized that he was holding his breath during Bucky's conversation with you, and when he finally let it out the sound filled the quiet room of the safe house that held the three men as they waited for their next move. It was almost instantaneous as Bucky closed the line before Sam was ready for the onslaught of rage that were likely to spill out of the guy after talking to you. "Alright, spit it out," Sam groaned, almost under his breath. "What did she say?"

Bucky set his phone down gently on the table and stood, taking a deep breath before he moved to the small kitchen to search for relief to calm his nerves. "What do we have to drink in here?"

"Would you like some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo offered, standing to gather what he needed.

"Not what I meant."

"Bucky. What did she say?" Sam tried again, only this time he stood and made his way across the room, trying to assert himself, but Bucky held up a quick hand to stop him. "Fine, I'll stay over here if you start talking."