Ch16. But you're still looking down from your golden throne

As Wilbur grew older, he was involved more in Empire's matters. He was dragged along into trade deals, handled paperwork, spent hours feigning eagerness in diplomatic negotiations. The Emperor told him it was all to prepare him to rule the country one day - but Wilbur knew better. He was trying to further isolate him from Theseus, and the responsibilities that he thought of as bothersome at best now turned into a form of tormenting mockery.

How ironic it was that the throne of the Empire was to be passed onto the person that cared about it the least of them all. Wilbur didn't want to study the subjects that Theseus wasn't interested in listening about, hated wasting his time in the cabinet meetings and he certainly did not approve of a foreign princess living in the palace for a few months each year – at least not until he actually met Niki.

She was the second person of royalty that Wilbur had genuine respect for, first being his own mother. Niki's eyes would shine, her words burning something fierce every time she talked about her homeland. The crown princess of Drywaters was a deliberate collection of the best features that can be found in royalty: humility, selflessness, ambitiousness and competence.

Simply put, Niki was everything that Wilbur wasn't, and on top of that – a great friend. Theseus was too young to understand certain things yet, and it felt nice to have somebody to just listen, without any prejudice and judgment, to what Wilbur wanted to say. It's from Niki who Wilbur sought comfort and advice from, and it's not to Techno but to her that he went when Mother's sickness started getting worse.

"I can only imagine how worried you must feel," the princess said. Staring numbly at the fretwork of the ceiling, Wilbur heard her words through a thick fog. "But the Empress wouldn't want you to be in a downbeat mood on your birthday. I'm not meant to say that, but-" she paused. "Theseus has prepared a special present for you."

That made Wilbur perk up. He nagged Niki for the rest of the day, but she refused to spoil the surprise, so Wilbur barely got any sleep, and the first thing he did in the morning was try not to shake with excitement as he knocked on Theseus' door. Any sort of self-control was forgotten, though, as soon as he was proudly handed out a handmade yellow sweater.

That evening Wilbur stood outside the throne room, thrumming with anticipation. Theseus was already inside amongst other guests, but Wilbur couldn't come in without the second celebrant of the grand gathering.

"You're still wearing that horrendous sweater?"

Techno appeared out of nowhere, in his best manner of sneaking up on people. Wilbur didn't jump but cast a narrow-eyed look over his shoulder.

"Your face is horrendous," Wilbur pointedly fixed the blue coat he tugged on over the sweater, identical to the one that Techno was wearing. "I look fabulous ."

Techno crossed his arms and gave him a 'I very doubt that' kind of look. "I'm glad to see that your ego is still intact."

"Same goes for your sense of humor."

Techno chuffed out a laugh, and Wilbur joined in with a quiet snicker. For a second, it felt like they were back to how they used to be before: two brothers, connected by something more than the blood coursing through their veins.

"How is Mother feeling?" Wilbur asked, once he felt like the silence was comfortable enough to try and test the grounds beneath the surface.

"She overworked herself again. Father got her to get some rest."

Wilbur looked away. "Ah," he said, swallowing through a hard lump in his throat. "Well, I suppose we shouldn't have everyone waiting."

He made a move for the door, but Techno's voice caught him mid-step, "Will? Can I ask you for something?"