Chapter One

•••QUINN•••

"A little bit to the left and here." Calvin dropped a big box filled with my stuff in the empty room while I held a box shutting the door of the apartment with my leg, I stride over to him and stumbled in the process dropping the box which had a dozen glow in the night light stones.

Calvin helped me up, I retreated to picking up the stones quickly, Calvin helped me pick one up and put it back in the box.

"You still have these? I thought you sold these already." Calvin mocked me while I box up the stones and pushed them away to the other side of the room. "Yes I still have them they help me to feel more at home." I scoffed.

"You'll never change." he teased glancing round the apartment.

I slide my hand down the pockets of my Jeans. "Thanks for coming out of your way to help me settle down you must have a lot on your plate and also work I hope I didn't cause you any inconvenience." I stated.

"Are you kidding when I heard my best friend was moving back to Portland after cutting all connections from me for two years I couldn't say no Mandy is still pissed at you though." he stated but I just chuckled.

Calvin is my best friend or I could say brother ever since we were kidnergardners his mum left him at my parents house for a play date with me when he was 8 and she never came back for him, since then it's been me and him, he's been there for me even my parents divorce he even calls them mom and dad.

As for Mandy she's my best friend too ever since she stuck gum in my hair during Junior high we had some fights until we were both paired for a project we discovered we have so much in common and one of them at the time was we both hate Noemie Peigns, my bitchy cousin.
She's the example of a snooty rich girl.
Noemie once told me the reason my parents divorce was because my mom had me from another man and she's a flirt always wearing short skirts just to impress Calvin who never paid attention to her.

Mandy is a matron in the police force, she hated Terry the first day she met him and advise me to break up with him but I was too busy brainwashed that I thought she hated me because she didn't have a boyfriend.

If only I listened to her I could have dodged a bullet.

"I get why she's pissed, I'll be mad too I quit the force and cut all connections just to move in with some dickhead  who I fell over the heels for and imagine spending the rest of our lives together when everyone warned me it was a bad idea." I muttered running my finger through my hair.

"I'm sorry you went through that."

"Don't be I should have known and I should have seen the signs Calvin I was blinded and gave Terry everything and he just brainwashed me I felt so vulnerable even after the miscarriage he kept screaming and yelling at me and cheated on me, I left everything for him what else could I have given him."

Terry is my ex boyfriend and he's a dick, we met at a concert in New York and started seeing each other, I was head over heels for him that I quit my job as a police officer and moved in with him to New York, the first three months were bliss until he forced me to cut all connections with my family and friends which I did, then finally he had full control of me and turned me into his maid and didn't help out.

Later I was pregnant but then he was upset and abused me emotionally, mentally and sometimes physically and then I had a miscarriage it wasn't easy and he was more mad and finally made me feel worthless, I was foolishly telling myself that I loved him, I was depressed and trapped.
I had enough when he cheated on me, he looked me in the eyes and watched me break down but didn't care, he thought I'd stay like always but it took me every will in my body to use my last change at a payphone and called my dad to come get me.
I never want to be that vulnerable again.