The Stan O' War

Stan groaned as he set down his bags. He and Ford had already said goodbye to Dipper and Mabel a few weeks before, and now they were making their childhood dreams a reality.

"Are we ready?" Ford peeped his head in through the door, smiling brightly.

"I've been ready for the past 40 years," Despite trying to present himself as grumpy, anyone could see how happy he really was.

"Alright!" Ford clapped his hands together. "Let's get going!" The two of them left for the control room both grinning widely. "Aaand the Stan O' War II has left the dock! Adventure awaits!"

The boat surged forward as it sped off into the vast ocean, on their way to investigate the new anomalies found near the Arctic Ocean.

They sailed for weeks with nothing too out of the ordinary. Stan stood on deck with the spyglass held to his eye, staring out into the ocean. He wasn't expecting to see anything out of the ordinary, usually just ocean upon ocean, but you never know. They were looking for 'anomalies', after all. But soon he spied something on the horizon. Stan and Ford had not seen another boat for a while, and this was no ordinary boat. This was a full on 17th century sailing ship. It appeared to be coming in their direction as well.

With slight worry, he signaled Ford to come check it out.

"Stan? You called?" Ford asked as he appeared beside Stan. Stan handed him the spyglass and pointed to the spec on the horizon. Ford raised it to his eye and found where Stan had pointed.

"Oh wow!" Ford gasped, "That is... certainly something."

"It's coming this way. Should we turn around?" Stan questioned.

Ford thought for a moment. "We have weapons. Both my inventions and many of McGugget's should be able to defend us. Let's... stay on course and see what happens."

"What? That ship probably has canons! We can't defend against that!"

"Sure we can. We have my modern technology, and by the look of that ship, they don't."

Stan sighed, "Fine. But if we get blown up, 's your fault."

They stayed on course and watched as the ship grew larger and larger on the horizon. It was close enough to be easily seen without the spyglass. Stan still stayed on deck while Ford stayed in the control room in case they had to get away or fight. Stan knew Ford was a curious person, but this just felt sort of ridiculous. What if there were magic cannibals on that ship or something?

A harsh wave hit against the Stan O' War and Stan almost dropped the spyglass. The shadow of something large flew under their boat and the water under the approaching ship surged. Inky black tentacles flew above the surface and grabbed onto the ship.

Stan barked into his walkie talkie, "Get up here right now!" Ford ran up to the deck, mouth gaping. He grabbed the spyglass from Stan's hands and lifted it to his eye.

A figure ran across the deck of the ship, holding what looked to be a sword. The spyglass was forced from his hands as Stan looked through it. "Hey! I'm the scientist here!" He grabbed for it, but Stan was not letting it go. "You're so- agh!" He had more important things to worry about. He turned his attention back to the scene unfolding out on the horizon.

The figure swung and the sword flew smoothly through a tentacle like it was made of cupcake frosting. Instead of the usual downpour of red ink, a shower of golden glitter exploded out of the wound and rained upon the deck of the ship. The figure continued to slice off tentacles with the ferocity of a starved lion seeing food for the first time in weeks. The head of a squid lifted itself above the water. The figure leapt at the squid's head and over the railing of the ship.

"They're gonna fall!" Ford ran to the control room and sped the Stan O' War towards the battle.

Stan stayed and watched through the spyglass. The figure stabbed the creature in its forehead and it immediately exploded into a glittery mess. The figure fell into the ocean as the Stan O' War drew nearer. When they got close enough to see all the details on the ship, Stan yelled.

"Hey! We're here to help!" He grabbed the life float and searched the water for the figure that had fallen.

They drove around the ship, both to see all sides of it and so the sword wielder wouldn't get trapped under their boat.

"We saw what happened! We can help! Where are you!" Stan yelled and stared at the water.

A strangely familiar voice called Stan's gaze up to the deck of the ship.

"Grunkle Stan?"

Stan looked at the person on the boat. He didn't recognise him immediately. He had changed a lot.

A kid around 16-17 years old was leaning over the railing on the side of the ship, staring down at him. Stan, still looking for the fallen figure, didn't notice him.

"Grunkle Stan?"

Stan's head snapped up to look at him. He was too busy searching for the swordsman; it didn't quite sink in that he knew his name. "Shouldn't you be looking for the fallen member of your crew?" He said accusingly.

The boy stared at him, curiosity shining in his eyes. "I am the fallen member. I don't have a crew. I'm alone."

With this, Stan finally averted his gaze to the kid. He had russet brown skin and seagreen eyes that held the entirety of the ocean in them.Probably just the reflection of the ocean below them. His black hair had grown out past his shoulders and was tied in a messy ponytail at the base of his neck and a faded scar arched from his jawline and stopped just before reaching his nose.

Ford ran up onto the deck. The boy looked between Stan and Ford, noticing that they practically had the same face. "...Another Grunkle Stan?" Ford quickly glanced at Stan.

Stan stepped forward threateningly, despite the strip of sea separating them. "How do you know my name?" The kid seemed taken aback by the question, maybe even hurt. His eyes widened and he averted his gaze. He was silent for a moment.

"Lucky guess?"