14 - Lost at Sea

It was a purple night. Only the fingerprints of the sun were left in the form of cotton candy pink clouds, but the moon was beginning her tender reign. The stars were settling into the sky like a fresh sheet thrown and billowing over a bed. A breeze from this heavenly sheet ruffled strands of Spencer's hair as he stood outside a humble brick apartment building. He was curiously observing the moths beating against the streetlights, swaying back and forth on the balls of his feet with a stack of boxes in hand, when the intercom finally buzzed in return.

"Okay you're good to come up now. I'm buzzing you up." Marcie's voice crackled over the speaker. Then the door to the building loudly clicked open.

He balanced the colorful boxes precariously in one hand and swung the door open with the other. In a spinning maneuver, he managed to slip into the door without knocking the stack out of his hand. His steps were muffled in the oddly tight stairwell. When he reached their floor, he walked slowly as he searched the hallway. He stopped at 208 and softly tapped on the dark door, clearing his throat and adjusting his collar.

****

Footsteps followed him out of the hospital room. "Hey Dr. Reid, hold on!"

He turned with his hands in his pockets to find a tired Marcie Rissi jogging towards him. He responded with a raised eyebrow.

She suddenly looked unsure of herself and averted her eyes to the floor. "Well, uh," she scratched the back of her head as she tried to form her thoughts. "About Andrew. I don't know what he said to you, but I just thought someone should tell you he can be really protective and a hothead."

"Really?" Spencer sarcastically gasped.

"He means well. He's a good guy." Her eyes meet his with sincerity. "Sometimes he just cares a little too much and can't keep it in."

"Well, thanks," Spencer said with an awkward nod and turned in an attempt to get out of this conversation.

"I get that you might not want to deal with him anymore though," Marcie continued as if Spencer wasn't leaving. "So, I thought that since Mel's phone is currently nonexistent, we could exchange numbers, and I could let you know when her family is gone."

Spencer stopped and turned back.

Marcie smiled. "I work most evenings and nights, and I'm imagining it won't be good for her to be alone every night after all this. She might need help or just company."

****

The door to 208 swung open to reveal Marcie dressed for work. Spencer noted to himself in amusement that he had never seen her in anything but her work uniform.

"Perfect timing. I was just heading out," she opened the door wider for him to walk in, but she stopped him before he crossed the threshold. Again that hesitant look consumed her. Her jaw shifted back and forth like she was testing words in her mouth.

"She hasn't been herself. She hasn't been like this for a very long time. Don't... don't think of yourself as some hero who has to see your 'work' through. If you can't ... take it, it might be best to not try at all. If you come then leave, then you'll hurt her more than not coming at all." She took a deep breath. "Keep her heart over your ego. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Spencer met her eyes intensely as they raised to meet his. "It's hard for people like me to find someone that genuinely enjoys my company. I don't take that lightly."