it's always been you

Mal -

We both chuckle and then the feeling in the air shifts. "I really thought that's what you and Ben had," Evie says. We stop walking and look at each other. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

I look at my feet. "I'm not coming back, Evie." She lets go of my hand and looks down too. "I can't. I-I really tried to tell you." She looks away from me and leans against the wall, grimacing. "But I mean, I saw the way your face lit up when we walked into those dorm rooms for the first time. And I... I couldn't spoil that for you."

Evie bites her lip and gets that stubborn look on her face. "If you're staying, I'm staying too."

"No." I say, firmly. "You're an Auradon girl. You belong there. And I am, and will always be... the girl from the Isle." We're both silent. I pick up a rock and throw it at the sign that opens the gate.

We walk up the stairs together, silent. But all of a sudden, Evie stops walking and starts tearing up. "I, I didn't know you were going through this. I don't know how I missed it. Why didn't you just ask me for help?"

I swallow and put my hand in hers. "I... I couldn't. I was scared to let you down, to let Auradon down, I guess. Everyone thinks I'm this completely different girl, and I just..." I start tearing up now. "I can't keep up the act. Ben's in love with that girl, Auradon accepts that girl. Not me. I... I had to go."

Evie is full on crying now. She takes my other hand and we sit on a step. "Mal, it's okay. I'm here for you no matter what. I'm so sorry if I made you think you'd disappoint me if you were your true self. All that matters is that you're happy."

I lean onto her shoulder and let all the bottled up emotions from the last sixth months out through more tears.

"I just... don't want to be away from you. I need you by my side. You're the glue that holds my life together," Evie says, her voice full of emotion.

I put my arms around her and hug her. "You are for me, too. But I can't take you away from Auradon."

"Then come back, please. We can leave Auradon Prep and live somewhere else. I-I'll shut down Four Hearts and break up with Doug, all that matters is that we're together."

I shake my head. "No, Evie, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you threw everything away for me. This is how it has to be," I say, standing up. "C'mon, we should get inside." 

Evie stands up and we walk up the rest of the stairs. We reach the spray paint covered apartment and land on the very vintage sofa. The boys must be in the side room where they used to usually hang out, since they aren't in the main room.

"Evie, I'll... I'll always be with you, no matter where you are," I say, looking right into her chocolate brown eyes. Her face crumples up again and she lays her head in my lap. I stroke her royal blue hair.

"I can't leave you here, Mal. You... you need someone to protect you." She says, looking for more excuses. "Uma and her crew, they'll be out to get you." Evie sits up and looks me right in the eyes. "I couldn't live with myself if I let you stay here alone. Please, let me stay with you. I... I can just hide from my mom, I guess."

I shake my head again, "Evie, no. You belong in Auradon, you know it. You're not safe here." Finally, Evie nods, tears still streaming down her face, mascara totally smudged.

"It's not fair," she mutters. "Why can't there just be no barrier at all?"

We hold hands in silence, and I start thinking about all the times Evie has helped me. She helped me when my mother was so angry with me many times, even though I was so mean to her when we were younger. She helped me when I was having second thoughts about Ben last time, which I ended up not telling him about even though Evie thought I had. She had made me so many gorgeous dresses and talked me through so many hard days. She caught me every time I fell, every day I couldn't face alone. God, where would I be without my Evie. I could never take her happiness away by letting her give everything up just to help me. She deserves the joy she's given me. I just want to make her happy. I look at her tear stained face and smile. If she looked in the mirror now she would freak out that her makeup was so messed up, but I think it makes her look even more beautiful. She's probably still strategizing how to convince me to let her stay. Why does she have to be so kindhearted and genuine, even when it comes at a huge cost to her own joy? I feel a little flutter in my chest as I think about Evie. My Evie. The girl who had always been there for me, even when I didn't give her much in return. It would be horrible to be away from her, but I could never let her give everything up for me. She deserves so much. Suddenly, the puzzle pieces fall into place. My eyes widen. I look up. Holy shit, I was in love with Evie. Head over heels in love. This is what that feeling was. I had it with Ben, I guess, but I had always had it with Evie. I just... didn't know what love was until I met Ben, but I hadn't realized my feelings for Evie were that until now. My heart starts racing as I finally understand why I've always cared about her so much.