An Epilogue

Ajak's Ranch, South Dakota, United States, 2023 ACE

Kaia didn't remember much from after the island, other than sitting down in the sand, watching as Phastos began to repair The Domo, at which point, she assumedly fell asleep, and only woke a long time later, back in her old room, pressed to Druig's side.

After that, the Eternals had split ways, just for a time, Kingo, Sersi and Sprite heading back to London, while the others had gone back to Ajak's home, which seemed to be the most natural place for them to go. Phastos' husband, Ben, had met them there, a little confused on exactly what had happened, but happy to see them safe.

"Auntie Kaia!"

Kaia was hit with the moving blur that was Phastos' son Jack almost as soon as she entered the house, and with a laugh, she ignored the others questioning looks, "Holy cow kid! You get much bigger and you'll bowl me over when you do that!"

"I can't believe you're finally back! Are you gonna visit more again?"

Kaia nodded, "As many times until your dad gets tired of me."

Ben chuckled, and Phastos called from one of the other rooms, "Jack, quit bothering your Aunt and let her inside properly."

Jack fake pouted, but was already moving back through the house, distracted by the presence of Thena moving toward the kitchen.

Makkari frowned, "Aunt Kaia?"

She shrugged, sitting down on one of the couches, "He's my god son."

Makkari seemed to take that as enough of an answer, as Phastos came back from the kitchen, handing her a plate. Druig followed, sitting down next to Kaia, offering her some of the fries from his plate.

"The sudden appearance of an enormous stone figure in the Indian Ocean has left more questions than answers for authorities," A news anchor chatter from the tv, "U.S and Australian Navy ships are maintaining defensive positions..."

Ben frowned, looking at the tv for a moment, and then back at the Eternals, "You guys did that?"

Phastos nodded, mouth still partially full as he said, "I love you, so much."

There was a noise from the kitchen a moment later, and frantically, Phastos passed his plate off to Makkari, "Sorry- can you just- one second-"

Jack was pulling an orange from the end of Thena's spear when Phastos got to the kitchen, "Woah- oh- okay- huh- almost gave you a shave and a haircut didn't she?"

Thena looked amused as he turned to Jack, "Hey can you just, cover your ears for a second- yes thank you."

"You know that your babysitting privileges are completely revoked right? Like it's done." Phastos shook his head.

Thena shrugged, "Fair enough."

Phastos nodded, gesturing for Jack to take his hands down from his ears, "Yeah, see- thank you. Violence- Jack, violence is never the answer, right T?"

"Mhmm."

"Always use your brain to solve your problems."

"Like you did on the beach?" She asked.

"Your dad spoke calmly and firmly to the bad guy, and he had no choice but to listen." He told him.

As Makkari entered the kitchen she shook her head with a smile, "The kid is ten, not stupid."

"When are you guys leaving?" He asked suddenly, "That's happening soon right?"

"Alright I get the message." She smirked.

Druig came through the kitchen, tossing the paper plate he carried into the bin, and Kaia followed.

"Hey- look there's Drug..." Phastos sighed, half turning to his son again, "Don't go anywhere near him."

"Hey!" Kaia half protested.

"You know what, with what she's been doing the last few decades, stay away from her too."

"Hey!" Jack said this time.

"Your very overprotective Phastos." Druig chuckled.

"Yeah not as much as your girlfriend." The sarcastic response was automatic, even with Jack in the room.

Thena sighed, following Makkari to the door, "We should probably be going."

"You wanna see the Domo, Jack?" Makkari signed excitedly.

That was how the group found themselves outside, watching as the Domo reappeared.

"Woah! The Domo's so cool, Dad!" Jack exclaimed.

"Your dad fixed that with his bare hands."

"Can we go to space one day too?"

Phastos winced, "Maybe when you get your learners permit, I'll think about it."

Makkari and Thena said their goodbyes, and then headed up to the ship, ready to start their new mission. It had been Sersi's idea to try to find the other groups of Eternals, but they had been the only ones fully willing to leave Earth for so long.

"Are you leaving too?" Jack asked, tugging at Kaia's coat sleeve.

"Well, yes, but not nearly as far as Thena and Makkari. I'll visit."

"Promise?" The boy asked, "You'll come to my birthday and everything?"

"I promise. For the next birthday, and all the ones after."

He grinned, hugging her around the waist, "Good!"

Druig sighed, turning to Phastos, "Take care."

"You too." He nodded.

"This world is lucky to have you."

"Thank you," He offered out a hand to shake, "I know you're not a hugger..."

Druig shook his hand, but then pulled Phastos into a hug anyway, causing a laugh to escape Kaia's lips.

"Alright, you, stay out of trouble," Kaia said to Jack, before turning to Phastos, "And you take care of this place."

"Thank you, for all of your help." Phastos said, hugging her too.

She chuckled, "You say that like I'll never be back. Don't worry, I'll be back to hang around for Jack's birthday."

"You better!" Jack yelled.

Druig and Kaia started back up to the car, hand in hand, until they climbed in.

"Now what?" Druig asked softly.

"Well," Kaia sighed, tapping at the steering wheel, "If I remember correctly, I've still got a house in Reykjavik, and you still have a village in the Amazon, so..."

"So?"

"Pick one. I'll have to get my library moved if we're staying in the village but..."

"Nah, we're not going back there," He sighed as she started the car, "They haven't needed me for a while now. They'll be alright on their own."

"To Rejkavik then."

They started off down the road, but didn't make it far before Kaia stopped at the top of a hill, staring out the windshield.

"What's wrong?" Druig asked.

"Look at that sunset..." She breathed.

"Haven't we had this conversation before? There will always be beautiful sunsets, my darlin. This one is no different."

"It's the first one of a new story," Kaia sighed wistfully, intertwining their fingers on the center console, "It's beautiful."

Druig smiled, looking at her for a moment, and then back out at the sky, "Breathtaking."