PREFACE.

' i come as a blade, a sacred guardian
so you keep me sharp and test my worth
IN BLOOD '

' i come as a blade, a sacred guardianso you keep me sharp and test my worthIN BLOOD '

DIVINE VIOLENCE
THE HUNGER GAMES, ALTERNATE UNIVERSE
clato | standalone

IT IS A WELL KNOWN FACT THROUGHOUT THE NATION OF PANEM that citizens of District 2 possess a penchant for violence that seems to run vein-deep

IT IS A WELL KNOWN FACT THROUGHOUT THE NATION OF PANEM that citizens of District 2 possess a penchant for violence that seems to run vein-deep. Perhaps even carved into their very souls from birth, those who hail from the mountainous regions of the country's masonry centre are hardwired for destruction. Clove Kentwell is no exception.

Dubbed The Red Maiden after her brutal Games and untimely Victory at only fifteen years old, nearly a decade later she remains haunted by her brush with death. Callous, moody and constantly chasing distractions, Clove's one saving grace from the life she has been abandoned to is her job at her District's prestigious training Academy, where she teaches future careers in the art of the knife. It had once been the perfect vice, until he came along.

Amongst a District of princes and young kings, Cato Hadley is a god. After his dangerous mix of golden charm and deadly swordplay not only carried him to the crown during the 75th Hunger Games, but also won the heart of all Panem, the devastatingly handsome Victor became an instant icon. Even amongst others of his status, the pedestal occupied by Cato Hadley soars beyond the clouds. Practically worshipped by a collective of adoring fans, his life appears to be divine. But even gods can become playthings to those who know their secrets.

Despite the differences in their worlds, their shared hatred for one another, forces seemingly beyond their control continue to draw them together - passionately, magnetically, in ways they cannot explain. And their no-strings-attached arrangement has worked well enough until recent. But when the reaping rolls around and Clove finds herself with no choice but to accompany Cato to the Capitol as one of this year's mentors - something she's managed to avoid, and quite happily so, to this day - the potential for chaos is unfathomable. For the Capitol's dark and secretive nightlife is far wilder than she feared.