Chapter 14: Awaiting the Future

They arrived at the Favonius Headquarters quickly with Albedo's help. Kazuha left the trio as they went to visit Jean in her office. He debated whether he should go back outside or enter the library as he stood next its door. 

Kazuha stood with his hand on the door knob for a minute before he heard someone going down the stairs. Not wanting to interact with anyone else at the moment, he hastily opened the door and entered before anyone saw him.  

The library was the same as it was before he left it. It was nice and quiet with only a few people looking at the bookshelves or reading. His books were still on the table. 

Reluctantly, he walked around the library to the table and sat down on the same chair as before. Kazuha took a deep breath before opening the book to the page it was open to before. He was greeted with the same picture as before. And it still looked like Kuni. 

His breathing became erratic again, but he didn't let himself close the page. He wouldn't be able to find anything if he kept running from what was right in front of him. 

The picture looked exactly like him. The same beautiful indigo hair that matched his eyes that had red eyeliner accenting them that somehow never got smudged. He wore the same black outfit with gold, red and white details.

However, this Kuni, despite all the similarities, wasn't the same. His smile wasn't his usual cheery or sinister smile. Kuni's smile - or rather, smirk - was malicious, and he glared at the camera. His eyes didn't have the same glow to them. 

Something happened to him. Something changed him. But what could've caused him to change so much? Why did he join the Fatui? Why was he a Harbinger?

Questions swamped him, just like the time after Kuni just left. Was Kuni always a Harbinger? If so, why did he not tell him? Does Kuni not trust him? If not, how was he in a book already? 

Kazuha got up, chair scraping against the floor as he did so. A few people looked up from their books to look at him, but he ignored them. Or, rather, he didn't even notice their stares in the first place, his mind was too busy with thoughts of Kuni. 

He all but ran up the stairs to Lisa's desk. Lisa was taking books from a cart and placing them on the bookshelves, and she didn't look away as she started speaking to Kazuha.

"Is there something you need, cutie?" 

"Yes. Uh.. About this book.." Kazuha hesitated, trying to figure out how to say what he wanted to say. He lifted the book in front of him so that Lisa could see the cover. 

"Oh, yes. I though it could help, since you were reading gnosis related books earlier. Did you find anything?"

"Yeah, and I have a question about it."

"Sure, what is it?"

"When was this book written?"

Lisa looked surprised for a second, then answered "I didn't expect that to be the first question you ask. To answer your question, it was written about a month ago, but the book arrived here only a week ago."

Pointing to Kuni on the picture, she continued talking. "It was updated, since this guy here is the new 6th Harbinger. Scaramouche is his code name."

'Code name? New? So Kuni wasn't lying to me.' Kazuha was relieved at the thought. 

Lisa stepped away and sat down at her desk, still talking. "The Fatui are after the all of the Archons gnoses. They just got the Geo gnosis, so I'm guessing they're going after the Electro one next."  

"Electro? That would mean..."

"That's right. Inazuma. Though, they probably won't leave immediately. There's still some things for them to finish up in Liyue."