A new fight

Nervousness. It is the overriding emotion that I am feeling. It is due to the fact that I am about to partake in a Formula 1 test. I can understand if you think it means little but for me, it means a lot as I will be one step closer to my dream of becoming a Formula 1 driver. As a woman, I had to fight twice as hard as other junior drivers. Not that I mind as my dad says I have the balance of skill and stubbornness. It is because of that, I am here, getting a test with none other than Renault F1. Hold on before I get ahead of myself I should tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Remi Monroe. The only reason I have a French first name is due to the fact that my mother is French. On the other hand, my dad is British hence why I race with the Union Jack. Plus I am probably the most patriotic Brit you'll ever meet. Anyway, that is not the point. The point is that I may end up as the second female driver on the Formula 1 grid. I just have to impress Flavio Briatore, the team principal.

"You don't have to worry. I'm sure you will impress the boss," One of the lead engineers remarks. He is trying to make me feel a little better in case things go wrong but I am not one hundred per cent convinced.

"I guess," I retort. The thing is I feel like this test will be a waste of time as there are other more promising talents in the junior categories so I don't see them picking me. Even if I manage to get the second seat I will be paired with Fernando Alonso. The reigning world champion. If you haven't already figured it out, that means I will be in for the battle of my life.

"Come on you have already done most of the hard work," He counters. He is right. The mere fact that I am here shows that Flavio sees some potential in me.

"True," I respond before pulling the balaclava over my head. I just need to remember not to throw this chance away. With one swift movement, I get my helmet on. It doesn't take long for me to get comfortable in the car with some help from the lead mechanic. After a deep breath and a pause that feels like ever I am finally let go from the pits. Here goes nothing. I take another deep breath as I bring the car up to speed now that I have passed the end of the pit lane. It is hard to describe how I am feeling at this point. You would think that I would be even more nervous than I was before if it were possible, but no. There is something about being in control of one of the fastest cars in the world that put my mind at ease. It is something that is hard to explain to someone who isn't a race car driver.

"Ok, Remi now that you have the car up to speed we would like you to run a few qualifying laps," The lead engineer jumps on the radio to let me know what's going on.

"But I need to get an out lap done first," I reply. I know for a fact that the tires will not give me enough grip.

"Not my orders. I'm afraid," He replies. That means Flavio wants to push me hard. Well, I will have to push back harder. With that news, I get to work on pushing as hard as can while being careful not to overload the tires. After what feels like forever the quali laps have come to an end. I will admit that I was close to losing the car a few times but I made it. I soon turn my attention to getting the car around the track at a more suitable race pace. After two hours of driving the test has come to an end. If you were here you would be able to see that I am coming down from an adrenaline rush. Even with Flavio's exaggerated requests, I was able to pull together a near-flawless performance. Hopefully, it is enough to secure my spot with Renault. It doesn't take long for me to reach the hospitality area where Flavio is pestering his lead engineer.

"No, I think she's better than Piquet," He replies to whatever was asked of him.

"Ok. I'll let them know when I have made up my mind. Anyway Remi, I wanted to ask you. How do you think you went?" Flavio turns his attention to me.

"Umm. It was good. I guess," I fumble over my words. I think I may have ruined my chances. "You shouldn't be nervous kid. The only person you'll offend is Scott," Flavio remarks. Scott was the engineer that was getting me through the test.