Chapter 10

***Just a fair warning...there's a little bit of NSFW content ahead!***

Chapter 10

The voices, laughter, and music got louder and louder as Dessa and Elys walked toward Arloerin's city center later that evening. Of course, she knew what was happening, but Elys still tried to surprise her by covering her eyes with his hands before they rounded the corner.

"What are you doing?" she laughed, attempting to tug him away by his wrists. There was no budging him. "You know I can hear everyone, right?

She could hear the smile in his voice. "Gotta make it a little bit of a surprise. Milena's going to kill me for telling you about it."

"I've gotten even better at making you spill about secret plans, haven't I?"

"That you have," he laughed.

Though she knew about it all, a hush spread quickly through the crowd as they finally came into view. Elys pulled her to a stop, stepping up against her back before leaning down to whisper in her ear.

"Happy birthday, Dessa Jai."

As soon as his hands uncovered her eyes, Dessa had to blink several times before her vision went back into focus. Of course, everyone was preparing for the Summer Solstice festival, but this...this was for her. And as soon Dessa's face lit up as she gazed around, all eyes landed on her and Elys before a chorus of happy birthdays rang out loud and clear.

Since the sun had already set, Arloerin glowed with not only moonlight and stars, but also the thousands of lights that outlined the buildings, strung across the streets, and floated over the city center. Brightly colored streamers accompanied them, billowing in the light breeze. Dozens of tables were situated around the square, covered with beautiful white tablecloths and platters of food just waiting to be devoured and bottles of wine, water, and juices. Not only was the city itself decorated for both Dessa's birthday and the solstice festival, everyone around were dressed impeccably. Good thing she decided to wear her emerald gown or else Dessa would have been underdressed.

Dessa laughed as soon as she saw Milena and Archer rushing forward to collide with her in a crushing hug, true to their birthday tradition.

"Happy birthday!" Milena practically screamed in her ear as the music started up again, then kissed her cheek. "You know how long I've been waiting to tell you about this? All freakin' day! I'm actually glad Elys forbade us from coming to you earlier or else I would have totally spilled."

"Thank you," Dessa grinned when they managed to pull apart. "You've been keeping this a secret? You can never manage to keep a secret."

"I know!" she grinned, then gestured to the party behind them. "And you know how long it's taken to arrange everything? Practically the whole time we've been here."

"And she's been bossing us around every chance she gets," Archer grinned, grabbing her up in a hug that had her feet lifting off the ground. "Happy birthday, cousin."

Her smile never dropped as she pinched his cheek. "Thank you."

Eamon was the next to get to her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Happy birthday, Des. Archer's right about Milena, though I have to give it to her. She knows how to throw a party."

"Hey, I did half the work while she was training with you," Elys cut in.

"And I got punched and cut up while you three were running around the city."

"Someone had to draw the short end of the stick."

"I thought you wanted to help me train!" Dessa complained, crossing her arms over her chest.