Chapter 13

Garrick had a hearty breakfast alone, wondering where everyone had gone. Even Raven was scarce, and she always had first meal with him no matter how late he rose. Feeling himself become grumpier he made his way out into the town. His people waved and smiled as they continued with their everyday lives. By the time he reached the forge he was only marginally feeling better. With a sigh he pushed the door open and the sight that greeted him turned his blood to lava. Darra was bent over the fire, hammering at something as yet unseen. He noticed instantly that her arms were bare. The fire illuminated every muscle as she flexed and stretched. Sweat coated her skin making it glisten as she moved. He frowned then, slowly coming out of the fog of lust. He saw the stretch and pull of the scars that crisscrossed over her shoulders, down the backs of her arms and he suspected covering her whole back, maybe more. They shimmered with a metallic sheen, some gold, some copper. There was even a thin brilliant gold line that ran the circumference of her neck. A chill went up his spine with the realization that something horrible had happened to his mate. He was starting to understand why her clothing, while comfortable, covered all of her. From eyebrow to the tip of her nose were a pair of protective goggles, her hair was wound up atop her head. She turned then, the loud hiss of molten steel meeting cold water pushing out all other sound. As if she could feel his extreme need of her, she whipped around, head turning this way and that. He shot forward, leaping across the fire and pinned her against the wall. She gasped reaching up to pull the goggles off. "No," he chuckled, "leave them on, they suit you." "Garrick," she whispered a little too breathlessly. He groaned before capturing her soft lips in a scorching kiss. It jolted through her, causing her to squirm. He broke the kiss long enough to nip her jaw and throat. A startled moan escaped her. "Garrick, I'm quite busy," she groaned. He nuzzled her throat, "Why do you resist me Darra?" She shook her head from side to side. "I'm not good for you," she whispered, "don't pursue this any further." He growled, tightening his grip on her wrists, "Don't push me vampire." "Don't force me to harm you Garrick," she snarled. She turned her head and nipped at his jawline playfully. He chuckled, "Run with me tonight, like the wolves run. Baring all to the moon." She sucked in a breath, appalled at her behavior. Without seeming to move she simply vanished, his grip on her lost. He spun around baring his teeth at her. She slipped the goggles off and arched one delicate eyebrow, "I have things to attend to King Wolf." He frowned, "How did you do that?" She cocked her head to the side, a very wolfish mannerism he noted, "Why do you ask?" "I've seen that technique before, in battle. The vampire queen and her daughter both used it. As we'd come to learn only the ruling house was taught this technique. It is said they are the only ones who are powerful enough to pull it off," he said giving her a critical eye. She laughed, "I'm sure if my grandmother knew that she would've sold it to all and sundry. At least now I know where the technique comes from." She turned and reached for the door, "Good day King Wolf, do lock up when you're through." His laughter echoed out after her.

A week, to a vampire, is the blink of an eye. Between creating Aidens gift and helping Raven with the planning and decorating of the Naming Ceremony and Ball, Darra had been gratefully busy. Time enough to reaffirm her distance to the Wolf King. She knew he'd been looking for her but she managed to stay one step ahead, effectively avoiding him. Now the evening of the ceremony and ball, she knew he'd finally caught up with her. She stared at the dress that was hanging up and moved closer to read the note, which said, "You would do me the highest honor if you would wear this tonight. -Garrick" The dress was beautiful and covered her full body, which was important to her. It was pitch black with a splash of red at the waist where it gathered and then draped elegantly over the legs. From the waist up it was skintight with a mock turtleneck. She smiled, of course he'd want to put her in the colors of his royal house. Rolling her eyes, she put the dress on and started getting ready for the evening.

Raven stood at the doors of the great hall waiting for Darra when she glimpsed her descending the stairs. She stared in awe; the vampire looked stunning. The dress flowed around her making it look as if she were floating. Her hair was elegantly piled atop her head drawing attention to her neck and shoulders. "Wow," she said. Darra smiled, "You look quite dashing yourself, little Raven." The child looked down at herself before looking up with a blush. Gesturing to the doors, Darra smiled, "Shall we?" Suddenly flustered she nodded and reached for the doors, "Uh, yes. Sorry." Garrick turned when he heard the hall doors open. Everyone did and they all couldn't help but stare. Darra stood there in the doorway wearing the dress that he'd chosen for her and it looked positively exquisite. With her hair piled atop her head and pulled away from her face she looked even more fae-like. There was no way anyone or thing could ever mistake her for anything other than a preternatural being. Usually, wolves were leery of other mystical creatures because of their ability to use magic, especially vampires. But it made her unusually alluring. With Raven at her side, they made their way to the massive feast table at the head of the great hall. All the men at the table stood when her and Raven were shown to their seats. Darra was seated between Garrick and Aiden while Raven was seated on the other side of Aiden.