Chapter 2

Charlie watched under his lashes as Alice walked along the shore back home. He couldn't believe how beautiful she'd grown. He'd always found her cute, especially when she was seven, but as soon as she'd started to become a woman he forced himself to back away from her. Even at the cost of their friendship. He suspected that he'd hurt her by no longer visiting often to play with her. It was for the best, her station was much higher than his and he had nothing to offer her. He had a small parcel of land, a blacksmiths shop that was often very dirty, a small garden, and a modest home. She deserved the life of a lady. A life he could never give her. 

Wealth wasn't so much of an issue as his station was. He'd spent many years as a boy out on the sea and grew to be a man there. In that time he'd collected his fair share of the spoils which he had tucked away safely. Having once been a child of horrible parents, before Darius Strongborn had taken him in, one would think that Charlie would find more comfort in the gold and jewels. Instead, while out on the sea, he realized he craved peace and a home to call his own. So he'd gone back to the only man who had every been a father figure to him.

Now he had everything. So why was he so sad?

Because there was still something he wanted but could never have. Something he would never be able to ask Lord Strongborn for. All he could do was watch while she walked away, barefoot as always, and so gorgeous that she outshone the setting sun.

It was then, as he caught a glimpse of the sun reflected off the edge of the blade, that he realized she'd forgotton the sheath. He would have to deliver that in the morning. He still needed to water the garden before he made dinner and settled down for bed. 

The next morning he took the sheath to the Strongborn manor. After seeing no one around and then knocking on the door a few times he eventually let himself in. Where was everyone?

"Darius? Isabella?" 

No answer.

"Alice?"

He heard the pattering of feet as Shelby came running around the corner with Bently in her clutches. "Charlie! Have you seen Alice? Mama is looking for her everywhere." The girls hair was curled up haphazardly and messy. Her dress was wrinkled and her little brother had food all over his face.

"No. Where is your father?" A bad feeling washed over him. There was an empty house, two unkempt children, a missing Alice, and a frantic mother. 

"Papa is upstairs in his bedroom." There was no reason for Darius to be in his bed at this time of day. Charlie took of running up the steps three at a time. He skidded to a halt in Darius's chamber when he saw the man still in his bedclothes with skin an unhealthy pale tone. He dropped the sheath on the floor and went to his friend. 

"What happened to you?" He whispered before placing his warm hand over Darius's cool one. 

"P-Poison," he said weakly. 

Had Charlie heard that right? Who would poison such a giving man? Before he could say anything else he heard the children's jumbled voices mentioning his name right before Isabella, with her rounded stomach, rushing into the room. 

"Charlie! Oh Charlie!" 

He scooped her up into his arms as she clutched his shirt and sobbed. It was very unlike Isabella to cry over anything so whatever was going on had to be terrible. Her hair, much like her daughter's was haphazardly pinned back. She wore only a simple dress that wasn't tied correctly. 

"Shh, tell me what's going on here..." He hid the thread of panic that was rising in his own body.

"Darius's Uncle tried to poison all of us."

"Pierce Strongborn? The uncle that holds Darius's estates?"

"Yes. H-he somehow poisoned our food and Darius had some...if he had realized before my children...before I..." She broke into sobs.

"When did this happen?"

"Three days ago."

So Alice had come to him last night knowing full well what was going on and hadn't told him. She was infuriating. They were all just as much his family as she was theirs. He could throttle her for doing this.

"Where is Alice?"

"She's gone! Her horse is gone! My baby is gone! I've searched everywhere. Everywhere, Charlie!"

"Char." Darious wheezed.

He turned, releasing the sobbing woman from his grasp. "Yes?"

"You have to bri-bring her back to us. It's too dangerous. Too... She will get herself..." He tried to catch his breath. "I trust only you."

As angry as Alice made him, he would never wish her harmed. Going after her meant dealing with her temper because once she had her mind made up...

"Please..." Darius begged. 

With a weary sigh he knelt down. " I promise I will get her back. I give you my word."

"The word of a pirate?" Darius attempted to smile.

"No. The word of a friend."

When he stood Isabella gave him a hopeful look as she cradled her pregnant stomach. Nearing her forties she was just as lovely as the day he'd first seen her. "I will get her back. In the meantime, you must take care of yourself as well as your husband. Trust Shelby to take care of Bently. She's a big girl now and you don't need the added stress."

Her warm hand cupped his cheek. You were a good boy, Charlie. You stole my heart the moment I met you, and now, your an even more amazing man. Please find my little girl. She means the world to me."

He nodded before heading to Alice's bedroom. He needed to see if it even looked like she'd packed anything before leaving. That would give him an estimated guess at how long she might survive out there. A woman as pretty as she was and as young wasn't likely to make it to Pierce's without trouble. "How long has she been gone?" He asked knowing that Isabella followed him to her room.

"She came in at dusk with her father's sword and then that was the last I saw of her."

Charlie looked around Alice's room. A drawer had been left half open but knowing Alice, that wasn't exactly out of the ordinary. He turned to her bed and saw something sitting attop it. A small pouch sat on some parchment.

"What's this?" He muttered before lifting it to hear the coins clink together. Unfolding the paper he read: Mama, please give this to Charlie and tell him that I am sorry for stealing from him. 

She'd stolen something from him? He shook his head. Silly girl. He would have given her the shirt off of his back if she'd only asked. He handed the letter to Isabella. She read it and looked up at him. "I was so frantic looking for her I never even saw this."

"Don't worry. I will just need to get my sword and horse and I will go after her."

"Do you know how to get to Pierce's?"

"I do." He looked around and took inventory of her room. Everything seemed like it was still there. Just the one drawer askew. Her sword was not anywhere to be seen so at least she had that and knew how to use it. Now he had to wonder what it was she'd stolen from him. "I'll get her."