002 | crème de la crème

chapter two:crème de la crème

chapter two:
crème de la crème

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊

To welcome everyone into the Good Place, one of its most esteemed newcomers is throwing a party. The hostess has requested formal dress for the evening. Now, Beth didn't plan on bringing her flashiest attire to Heaven when she died, but luckily this place seems to have it covered — she opens her (tiny) wardrobe to find a silky, mid-length dress in soft blue waiting for her.

Sanjay must have had the same treatment, because after some crashing and censored cursing as he changes, he emerges from the minuscule bathroom looking sharply-dressed in an immaculate suit and tie.

"You look very... dapper," says Beth.

"So do you," Sanjay smiles and offers his arm to her. "Shall we go?"

With a sheepish nod, she hooks her hand into his bicep and falls into step with him as they get ready to leave home. Beth has one foot outside when she freezes and slaps a hand to her forehead. "Oh, fork!" she exclaims, panic setting in.

"What's wrong?"

"My inhaler, I always bring it with me. Wait... where would it even be?"

"Maybe you should ask?" Sanjay suggests.

"Ask who?" Beth asks, before the penny drops. "Oh. I see. Hey, Janet?"

"Hi, how can I help?" Janet materialises beside her with a resounding boop.

This is still so bizarre.

"I can't find my inhaler anywhere," says Beth, "so I was wondering if I have to ask you or Michael for it? Is there a prescription I need to get, or—"

Janet shakes her head gently. "No need. The Good Place has a filter which soothes many chronic illnesses in its residents, one of which would be your asthma. You won't have to worry about it anymore."

"... Seriously?" Beth is stunned by this revelation. No more inhalers or asthma attacks? It sounds like a dream come true. And yet, at the same time, it feels like a strange anti-climax. After learning to live with it in her everyday life, she can simply forget about it in her afterlife? She lets out a shaky breath. "Right. Well, thank you, Janet."

"Any time!"

Boop! Janet vanishes into thin air once more.