-13- Back Where We Started

You wake up. You see you are in a cell, numbered Subject 43. Behind the bars, you see June, numbered 77. Both you and June are head to toe in bruises, and June looks as if someone had just made out with them. You need a way to get out before they do more tests on you and June.

You get up and start to hit the door. Banging it, pulling on it, you try all sorts of ways in an attempt to get it open.

"Let us out!" your screams go unheard.

June looks at you, worried.

Suddenly, you notice someone in the cell opposite of you.

"Augh! Alright no more standing around."

"Alice?"

"Y/N?"

"When you said you'd get me out as soon as possible, I'd never thought I'd see you here!"

"So... are you gonna get yourself out or not? Here, I'll pass you my little chisel. I have no more point of life. I'm going to die here. I wish you the best of luck, really. There's no need to come save me, but thanks for offering to. I wish this world was a happier place, but apparently not. Thanks for everything!"

"Alice... I'm coming back to save you... I promise. When everything's fixed, I'll get you out alright?"

Alice chuckles and throws the chisel into your cell.

You get out and proceed to help June out of his cell. You grab him and you both start bolting towards the storage room.

On the way you pass an office,

"The Liberal Militia... their plans will be flawed, their industries will crumble, they don't know the true nature of the robot they hold."

"What a-are they talking about?" You try to peek through the glass window.

"C'mon Y/N! We got to go!"

"Wait, listen June... they're giving a robot into Liberal Militia? Wait, that means they could see and hear anything that happens! We're in huge danger June! We have to tell Phoebe, come on!"

You and June start running through the halls to exit, you run past a weapon room.

"Wait Y/N! Grab some weaponry before we leave, we might be running low on that with all the has happened"

"Good idea June, if the robot puts us in immediate danger we're going to have to escape immediately."

You and June escape and start heading back to the Liberal Militia base.

"Phoebe, Phoebe!"

You run up to Phoebe, with June trailing behind.

"Oh Y/N! Did you finish the mission? Where's Gen?"

"I'm sorry but we haven't, but we've got some information!"

"Oh?"

"The robot you got this week, you got to get rid of it! The Obelus sent it, it's a spy for the Obelus!"

"Alright, I'll send some people to go check it. Okay, Marcus. Marcus! Go check that robot with Melansko."

"Y/N, June, where are Ember and Valerie?"

"Ember ate some mutant meat and bit Valerie, Valerie locked themselves in the car so as to not get the rest of us infected and we were going to bring you there to heal them but..."

"But?"

"They were shot by Obelus guards." June chimes in.

"Oh my, well then. You two go to rest, or go do something relaxing, You've had quite the day."

"Alright," you say. You and June begin to walk away to your dorms.

"Y/N, can you come with me for a second?"

"Sure June! What's up?"

June leads you to their room. June sits on the bed, rolls up and starts to cry.

"June- oh- what happened? Are you okay?"

June motions for you to sit down beside them. You sit on the bed and pet June, soothingly.

"What happened?"

June sobs even louder.

"C'mon June, you can tell me anything. What's bothering you lately?"

"I- what do you do when you like someone?"

June continues to sniffle.

"Huh?"

"Like as if you like that person but you know you are destined to not be together?"

"Oh, you like someone June?"

June stays silent.

"June, I think you're brilliant. You deserve whoever you like, and even if you aren't destined to be together, you can be for now. Who is this person you like, and why aren't you destined to be together?"

"What I told you, I liked you. And the reason we couldn't be together is that... I am going to die. When I was there, the Obelus had put stuff into my brain that I couldn't remember. But now I do and I hate myself for not remembering."

"June, it can't be that bad."

"Do you know what I did there? I was forced to torture Riley and and a few other subjects! I watched them scream and yell in agony. And I did nothing. I stood there, knowing I could resist them but I didn't. I am going to bring down Liberal Militia."

You wrap your arms around June and pet him soothingly. He buries his head and continues to cry.

"They know I'm here. They were going to use me as a spy to control me. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you earlier, Y/N, because I didn't want you to know that I let you down. You probably hate me now, and that's okay. I hate me too."

"You know June, from the first moment you saved me from those Obelus guards, the first moment when I met your eyes, I knew that our destiny wasn't going to be together, but I also knew that we would be in each other's hearts. You sewed yourself onto me, and I couldn't forget you. I like you too, June."

June looks up at you and hugs you. You hug June back and you rub yourself against June's neck. Your foreheads touched, and for a moment, when their eyes connected, the world felt right again. June pulls you into another hug and closes their eyes.

Finn walks into the room, and looks distraught from the sight of you and June. You, Finn and June walk out the room awkwardly and out of the building.