Episode 1.1: Blood in the Water

When the cannon sounded, Sam Winchester bolted toward the Cornucopia with one goal in mind:  The angel blade.

There was no way anyone else was going to get their hands on the only weapon here that could kill Castiel.

Unfortunately, there were people here that were faster than he was.

For example, a certain vampire and werewolf were already at the treasure trove of goods, grabbing weapons and… were those blood packs?

How thoughtful of the game-maker.

At least none of them would die drained of their blood.

Hooray.

Steve Rogers reached the Cornucopia at about the same time Bucky and Sam did, but even though Sam had never taken his eyes off of his target, it was snatched from his fingertips.

“Hey!” he shouted, looking up at the girl who had taken the blade, “Give that here!”

He would have lunged at her, had he not heard Castiel say, “Sam.”

When he turned, he saw the angel standing right in front of him and reaching for his forehead with his index and middle fingers pressed together.

-

“Ow,” Sam moaned when he regained consciousness, “What was that?”

The first thing he saw was the leaves and branches of the canopy overhead.  He was lying under a tree.

Groaning as he sat up, he called, “Cas?”

“Here.”  The angel stiffly walked over to Sam and offered a hand.

“What happened?” Sam asked as he pulled himself up.

“Three are dead,” Castiel replied.

Sam snapped his full attention toward Castiel and demanded, “What?”

“Three are dead,” he repeated calmly, eyeing the Winchester coolly, “A woman, a girl, and a dwarf.”

“But they’ll come back, right?” Sam asked.

After all, this was still FANWOOD; if any of them died, they would immediately-

“No.”

Sam felt dazed at Castiel’s reply.  “What?”

“This is not FANWOOD; the rules of life and death are as they would be anywhere else.”

“So if I die here-”

“You’re not going to die, Sam,” Castiel interrupted.

“- then I die for good?” Sam finished.

“You’re not going to die, Sam.  I will protect you.”

“No, but if I do-”

Castiel cut him off again with, “You won’t.”

“Cas….”  Sam waited a moment this time so he actually complete his question.

“You won’t die.”

Sam lost his patience.  “Castiel!” he exclaimed, tilting his head sharply as he closed his eyes, “Just….”  He sighed and sat down.  “Just tell me who died.”

“Martha Jones, Clary Fray, and Fili.”

Sam blinked.  “Ah… All right.  I honestly don’t know how Martha died-”

“She was electrocuted,” Castiel helpfully supplied.

“By whom?”

“No one.  She touched the exterior of the metal building and it electrocuted her.”

If Sam hadn’t known the angel for years, he would have been disturbed by how easily Castiel came to grips with the situation.

It was also slightly disturbing how distant Castiel’s eyes seemed to be – like he was focusing on a point behind Sam.

Sam spun around to make sure there was no one there.

They were alone.

“Cas?” Sam asked warily, “Are you all right?”

“I am fine, Sam.”

“I don’t think you are.”

Castiel almost seemed to sway on his feet.  “I was…” he opened the left side of his beige trench coat and angled the exposed side toward Sam, “I wasn’t fast enough…”

Sam gasped as he saw the red stain on Castiel’s side.

“The girl got me first,” Castiel explained as he leaned against the tree.

“The girl?” Sam asked, helping his friend, “The girl that died?  Clary Fray?”

“Yes.”

“What?  She stabbed you, so you killed her?”

“…Yes.”