Episode 1.2: Blood in the Water

As soon as the tall, brown-haired human disappeared with the trench coat-clad one (and Arthur had claimed Excalibur), Merlin grabbed Arthur by the arm and began to pull him away from the fighting.

"Merlin!" Arthur protested, "What are you doing?"

"It's not safe, sir!"

"It bloody well isn't! Let me go!" Arthur swung the sword a few times as if that was a reason for Merlin to let him go.

A bright light blinded Merlin as a piercing scream sliced the air. The Cornucopia (or whatever the heck it was) seemed to burn brightly for a moment and then the light faded.

Somehow, he knew what had happened. He had only caught a glimpse of it, but he saw the woman reach out for the wall of the building and lightning sprung from it and killed her.

A sound like a cannon announced her death.

'Well, this is going to be fun,' he thought sarcastically to himself as he continued to pull Arthur toward the woods.

"Merlin! We don't have any supplies!"

"We'll come back!" Merlin insisted. He wondered how he, a scrawny servant, was able to practically haul away a well-built warrior (who was fighting him).

He supposed it had something to do with almost dying.

A girl with long, brown hair and a long, silver dagger in her hand ran toward the woods as well, though she was a few yards away from Merlin and Arthur.

The man with the long beige coat and the messy black hair reappeared a few feet in front of her.

She screeched in surprise and tried to stop, but she didn't stop in time. The dagger was turned so that when she collided with the man, he was stabbed in the side.

He exclaimed in pain, cringing as one hand flew to his side. The other hand grasped the girl's hair.

Merlin struggled to lead Arthur to safety while trying to watch how the confrontation would end.

When it was over, he desperately wished he hadn't.

The man looked up angrily at the girl and his eyes seemed to glow white. He raised his bloodied hand and touched the girl on her forehead.

The cannon sounded before she hit the ground.

"CLARY!" a voice shouted from the center of the clearing.

'I need that,' Merlin thought as he saw the dagger gleam in the sunlight. Glancing up at where the wounded man was a second ago, Merlin realized that he was no longer there.

When he saw a boy with blond hair was running toward the dead girl, Merlin decided it was a good time to get the dagger.

-

Steve was not unused to battle situations, but this...

This was something else.

This was worse than anything he'd had the displeasure of experiencing.

For Pete's sake, there were kids here!

Kids!

Two of them seemed to be from the Dark Ages, two others were dressed in twenty-first century clothing, and the remaining two...

Well, if he didn't know better, he would have mistaken them for Dwarves. But, then again, he supposed that it was FANWOOD and if any of them died, they would-

The building lit up and someone screamed. A woman was thrown several feet through the air and landed in the grass, smoke rising in tendrils from her body.

'Whoa...'

'That's not good...'

He ran into the cone-shaped building and scurried to find a weapon....

His shield.

They had stolen his shield.

Steve hastily grabbed the shield before anyone could take it and slipped it onto his arm. A passing glance showed him where several weapons were stashed, but he didn't need any guns-

"CLARY!!" the blond boy screamed as he ran out of the building.

'What kind of a name is Clary?' Steve thought as he, too ran out and into the woods.

Bucky was already several yards ahead of him, crashing through the foliage and breaking everything in his path.

Somehow, Steve knew that Bucky was expecting him to follow.

So he did.