Ready?

„Kid, do you remember the Multiverse?"

"Is this a test?"

"No, why?"

"How could I forget? I almost got myself killed there."

"Don't be such a drama queen. You did well."

"Yeah, sure, thanks. By the way, how's your voyager?"

"Oh, my dear voyager. It's been a long time since I've used it..."

"Come on, Everett, you're not that old."

"Sure, but I feel older with every single day we're apart. Almost as if my own multiverse was falling apart, you know."

"Where are you?"

"I can't tell you. Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out what actually happened. Admitting to your own mistakes seems much easier than accepting them."

"I know, it's a lot of tough work, but I'm sure you'll get there very soon."

"Thanks, kid. I knew you were the good one in the duo. Gotta go, bye."

"Bye."

Boy glanced at the purple hat his friend had given him a few months ago. It's been a really long time since he thought about Everett and their adventures. On the one hand, he knew ending this chapter would be much safer and beneficial for both of them, but on the other hand, he was sure there were still many multiverses yet to be discovered. And he didn't want to be the only one taking part in the journey.

"What's up, Erwin?" the kid looked at his cat with a big smile. "Ready to look after my room while I'm away?"

"Meow (Sure, I'll organize another party)."

"Great! Thanks, buddy."

"Honey, it's your birthday in three days. What would you like to get?" he heard his mother from the corridor.

"New computer would be good."

"What for?"

"You know, I'm starting school in a few months. I need to prepare in order to be ready for anything."

"Really? Isn't it for continuing the project you've been working on for the last year?"

"Nah, I'm done with that. I've realized that in the long run it'll cause more harm than good."

"Okay, baby. We'll see what we can do."

"Thanks, mum. Love ya!"

"Everett?"

"Huh?"

"Why did you give me this hat?"

"I needed a change. Purple is not fashionable anymore."

The kid laughed. "I mean, seriously."

"For communication. I wanted to talk with you. Did you really think our relationship was over?"

"No, no, of course not. But why, apart from that? I think there's something more."

"Well, okay, if you insist." Everett smiled and sighed. "I think you deserve it more than me. You always knew what was right and wrong. You knew how an empathetic person should behave. You figured out how the Multiverse works very fast and was able to fix everything without making another unnecessary mess. You taught me how to be human in this weird, magical world I've been living in. You made me realize that I should have been more careful with other people during my journey."

"..."

"Kid? Are you there?"

"Y-yes, I am. T-thank you s-so much, Everett."

"Are you crying?"

"You've just said it yourself – I'm an empathetic person, right?" the kid laughed.

"Yeah, right."

"That's what you've been contemplating about for the past few months? Sitting beside the stream and the pink tree?"

"Yes, mostly. And it's purple now, I don't know why. But I've been thinking about one more thing."

"Do I really want to hear it?"

"Don't you?"

"Of course I do!"

"I want to save Nash."

Immediately a dense silence filled the space between them.

"Hello! Multiverse to the kid!"

"S-sorry, I didn't see that coming. And... wait. Does that mean we'll have to deal with another interferences?"

"Only if you fuck up the Multiverse again."

"I won't, I promise."

"I know, I'm just messin' with ya. Besides, we'll be dealing with the darkest part of the Multiverse this time. You don't have such power and you wouldn't be able to possess nor understand it even if you wanted to."

"Why not?"

"Because it's available only for those who have killed someone, therefore had the connection with this darker part of the Multiverse already."

"Damn, Everett. I'm speechless."

"Of course, 'cause I'm taking you with me and you've got nothing to say," Everett laughed.

"Wait, but you've just said..."

"I know what I've said, damn it. We'll figure something out."

"Can I die there?"

"You could've died here, remember?"

"Yeah, you mentioned something once before I even knew what we'll be doing" the kid sighed.

"So, I assume you've been ready this whole time, right?"

"I think so. When do we start?"

"I'll let you know. Till then, enjoy your free and non-stressful life. Take care, bye."

"Bye."

The kid somehow still couldn't believe that the hat was a means of communication between him and Everett. Due to it, they were able to feel each other's presence and hear their voices as if they were standing next to each other. However, the kid didn't know where Everett was and how he communicated with him. Did he have any other device? He doesn't have his hat, obviously.

"He's the magician, you moron," kid did a face palm and laughed at his own stupidity.