Chapter 5

And so they met in quiet.

She really tried so hard to stay away, that eerie promise lingering in her mind all the time. But he had caught her alone in the library once a few days later, returning some material. After Calype asked where the books went, Maxi could only help while inwardly chiding herself for not just pointing him in the right direction and swiftly taking her leave as she ought to do. No, instead she walked him all the way there and even helped with the ones that went on the lower shelves while he took care of the higher ones, heart racing the entire time.

He was silent, and Maxi would risk glances at him, trying so hard to hide her actions. At one point she thought, well, with him being so skilled and probably knowing what was going on in his um, surroundings all the time he must know what I'm doing; but then he never acted differently, so perhaps he really didn't notice, too focused on the task. That gave her relief. Until he suddenly spoke, having put the last book away.

She watched as he brought his huge, muscular arm back down to its regular level, then looked at her own. What kind of man was he to be built like that?

"-the woods alone?" He was so close, eyes boring straight into her face. Eyebrows scrunched together, shoulders tensed, and his head tilted at the question- he looked upset and demanding, and she didn't even know why, not having heard the whole sentence. It was difficult to hold back a shudder. He had been so sweet, but still, he was obviously much stronger than father. A hit from his hand would hurt much more, wouldn't it? It was best to tread lightly; she didn't want to annoy him.

"W-what d-did you...say?" She held herself in fear, but Calypse just stood straight and took her hand, leading her to the fire, no trace of stress left on his face. He brought them chairs closer to the hearth, and retrieved Maxi's cloak from where it lay on the table, gingerly draping it over her shoulders.

"If you were cold you should have said so," And then Maxi felt such awful guilt for her shivering, but really, she couldn't control these terrors that resided in her. She wrapped the fabric around herself with a timid thank you, wanting so badly to trust him. "I asked if you often walk in the woods alone. Don't you know how dangerous that is? You could seriously get hurt." At once she wanted to roll her eyes and hug him. But she did neither.

"I k-know, but i-it's p-peaceful o-out there. I have n-no one t-to g-go w-with, so..." She lightly shrugged. It is what it is. That was what she thought, anyway. But then he astounded her once again with his bold, unapologetic way of speaking.

"I will accompany you while I'm here- in secret of course," He amended on seeing her frightened look. "You need to be protected," Calypse said fiercely while Maxi looked on in shock once more. "If I am permitted." And he bowed his head to her, as if she were that important. Was this a fairy tale?

But it was real life, no fantasy at all, no pitiful day dream, because a few days later they were walking together. Watching the running water with him, she couldn't recall a time where she had felt so serene. It was like Maxi had entered another world, apart from her problems and constant danger; none of it existed. There was only the hot summer sun upon her face, and the calming sound of the river. If she looked closely, there were all sorts of brightly colored fish swimming underneath the surface. The huge green lily pads floated closer to the edge. As she watched, a small frog jumped upon one and perched, searching for flies. She wanted to hold it in her hand.

"My lady?" So focused on the scenery, she had hardly registered Calypse wading out into the small river. His hand was outstretched. "There's a good place to sit just on the other side." He nodded to a small flat grassy incline where they could comfortably relax. The thought of crossing scared her a little, but the water was gentle enough. If she fell, Maxi knew he could easily right her so- looking at him, she found no reason to turn away.

With one hand she slightly hitched up her skirts, and the knight made a point of looking away. With the other she took his hand, allowing herself to be guided across. There were rocks jutting out of the water that allowed her to keep her feet dry as she centered on staying upright, not on the armored hand in hers, not on their apparent closeness, not on any of those things. He was there to protect her, and nothing else. Still, that was so much for Maxi, who had never been protected in her life. Only bashed and destroyed over and over.

"Oh!" Falling forward, she hardly had time to think about stopping herself before the knight had caught her. With one arm stretched around her waist and the other in front to steady her, there was no chance of slipping now.

"T-thank you." She mumbled, and he released her as if she was a hot iron, dutifully continuing on as before. When they shortly reached the other side and let go of each other's hands, Maxi swore she saw a dusting of red on his cheeks, but couldn't be sure of it. He didn't seem uncomfortably hot, but if that wasn't the case, could he be blushing? Could she really have such an effect on someone, on him? It didn't seem possible, and yet...

She watched as he took his cape off, laying it on the ground so she could rest more pleasantly, and then sitting, waiting patiently for Maxi to take her place beside him. She could still tell that he was alert, watching for anything that may pose a threat. How was it that his every action caused her to like him more and more now? It was insane, deranged, it was going to break her heart, but she sat beside him anyway, a small smile gracing her face.

For a moment it was quiet as they watched the river and felt the sun rays gracing their skin. And suddenly Maxi was just filled with gratitude, joyed to be somewhere so beautiful, and not to be alone. It felt, well, wonderful. It felt wonderful to know someone cared for her, even a little bit. As much as her mind wanted to doubt it, his actions told a different story. There was no way he would be here with her right now if he didn't care.

She turned to look at him now, but his eyes were already searching her face. He glanced away, but she put a nervous hand on his arm, causing the knight to look at her. Maxi didn't want to hide anymore.

"I wanted t-to t-thank y-you Sir C-Calypse, for protecting m-me." At his raised eyebrows, she was sure her face was turning red. He ducked his head away, and then, sure she had made a mistake, Maxi began crafting an apology. But he spoke before she could open her mouth again.

"Riftan." She retracted her hand, confused.

"W-what?" He leaned back on his arms now, throwing his head back in a casual manner that contrasted her internal panic while he elaborated.

"You should call me Riftan now. Don't you call..." He paused, seeming to contemplate something before grinding the words out anyway. "...your friends by name?"

He wants to be my friend?

The notion was both thrilling and somehow disappointing.

"Uh, y-yes," Never mind that she had not a single friend. "B-but isn't t-that ina...ppropriate." She looked away, feeling conflicted. But Riftan only chuckled and sat up now.

"I doubt the birds and fish have care for proper society, my Lady." He said gloomily, frowning at a blue jay. Maxi wanted to smooth that crease on his face.

"O-okay, R-Riftan," She noticed in her peripheral vision how fast his head swiveled to see her, and almost laughed. "When w-we're a-alone you m-may say m-my n-name t-too." She quickly rushed out, hoping she sounded as apathetic as possible, though she knew her face and body language surely gave her away.

"Maximilian." He said slowly, as if to test the waters. She thought the way he said her name with his smooth, low voice might be her favorite thing to date; that was until Maxi saw the beautiful smile upon his face. It made him look much younger, the creases at his eyes brightening them, and he was handsomer still. The vision nearly took her breath away. Had he ever smiled so full?

She wasn't giving this up.