4

Stephen

"Quick, grab your stuff, and let's go!" Jonathan shouted hurriedly as he quickly grabbed his backpack and swung it onto his back. "You don't want to miss the smokin' hot boats." He chuckled faintly from outside the bungalow. I watched him hop high into the air as if he was willing to fly from off the ground with the simple flex of his limbs.

"Yea, I'm coming." I hurriedly squished my clothes into my small excursion back and struggled to zip up the fly. It was stuck. Trying some more, I felt my face heat up in the effort. My ears pinkened in action, and I felt sweat tingle at the surface of my forehead.

"I'll help you with that."

Behind me stood Will, leaning against one of the bed's metal poles, his hands buried deep into his pockets. The corners of his lips slightly glided up as I turned to look at him. He seemed to be blushing under his lengthy curly brown hair. He looked away.

"I can help you with the back if you need help," he repeated as I had stayed silent. I hadn't heard him come into the room—I thought I was alone.

"Yea, thanks." I slightly hovered my bag towards, in an awkward manner, thinking to myself it was no use. The zipper wouldn't budge. With a quick, simple click and subtle grunt, Will managed to close my bag swiftly. He gazed up at me with another giant smirk. This time though, he seemed to be jesting at me.

"This was too easy, Stephen," he joked, his voice full of mockery. "Way too easy." he clicked his tongue in my direction—Tic, tic, tic.

I chuckled and thanked him again.

"Yea, no problem, that's what I'm here for."

'What he was here for'?..

                                                             ✹✹✿⭐︎✯❉

There wasn't much to see past the green leaves surrounding the divided bungalows. The island seemed deserted except for squished handfuls of trees left and right. I brushed the leaves with my finger; they seemed to call for me. Their soft sensory left me wondering what species they were. Geraniums? Maybe. Anemones? Yes, probably anemones.

I watched Ben latchstrings and ropes around the canoes. I could see his muscles flexed a little at every movement of his arm. He held a stern look on his face as he flung the ropes side to side.

"These babies are ready to go." So he said when he finished. He radiated waves of pride and joy at every word that danced out of his mouth.

Jonathan seemed impatient by my side. He held a wide grin as he jumped up and down with his frontal camera secured on his forehead.

"Say guacamole!" He hollered with a smile towards me. Then, he lowered his head and pressed the yellow button on the side of his camera.

I stood where I standing, fidgeting on one of the numerous ropes swinging from below my gear bag. I never knew what to do in impromptu situations like these. Was I supposed to smile? Or strike a pose? How did the stars and model and models do it anyway?

I looked away to the sky.

"Let's go around with some conduct safety rules for when we go into the canoes," Ben said severely. He spoke in a tone I had not yet heard before; his voice had always had a soft, delicate manner. "It is important that abide and follow each rule to assure your and your pears' security."

A long, snakeling shiver traveled down my spine. My heart beat subtly.

"Cam, would you like to lead the stretch?" He asked.

"Keep them on the move while I grab the documents."

"Alright, let's get movin'," Cameron clapped and swung his arm to the side, reaching for his toes. "And a one and a two... Come on, you can do this."

Everyone bend from one side to the other in an awkward manner. Twisting and contorting like tangled ropes. Whatever adventure was stewed in for us would be grand. The St. Crown Lake tides await.

Badoum. Badoum. Badoum.

In a slow beat, my heart thumped. Then, in an unsteady move, I swayed to the side. Before I knew it, my vision blackened. My head felt heavy on my shoulder, as if a thick blanket had been lying on top of it. My knees hit the ground with a soft scratch on the sand.

 My knees hit the ground with a soft scratch on the sand

Hey, thank you for reading :) You now own a place in my heart. I hope you liked the chapter, let me know your thoughts on Stephen, and maybe also Ben. Ily so so much, and i'll see you soon💜

Questions for comments----

-What do you think is up with Stephen?

-How do you think the canoe trip will go? Well? Horribly?

Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter!!