Chapter 3

Reggie's POV

I eagerly poof into the kitchen but neither Ray or Carlos are here. I am about to poof to a different room of the house when Luke poofs into the kitchen.

"There you are! I've been looking all over for you." He says. "Julie got us a gig at the school dance at her school, we have to rehearse."

"Luke, you would not believe what just happened!" I say excitedly. "I was just chillin at the beach when this kid came up to me and he recognized me from the band, and I thought he looked familiar and I thought he was a ghost but then he said his name is Nick and I remembered that's the kid that brought Julie flowers this morning. So anyways he's a lifer and he could see me so that means I can finally actually talk to Ray and he'll be able to respond!"

"Woah woah woah , slow down." Luke says. "A lifer saw you?"

"Yeah, try and keep up." I say. "Do you know where Ray is?"

"No, sorry." Luke says. "But go back to the thing with Nick, he saw you!?"

"Yeah." I say. "Which probably means other lifers can see us too!"

"Reg, don't you know what this means?" He asks. I shake my head. Why does it have to mean anything? Can't we just enjoy the fact we're no longer invisible? "Either something happened last night after the Orpheum when Julie hugged us or Caleb is somehow making us visible meaning he knows we didn't die."

"Or it means nothing." I say. Just then Ray walks through the front door back from work and excitement fills me up.

"Hey, so sorry we're just randomly in your kitchen, but we're in Julie's band, and we're visiting so it's nice to-" Ray walks right through me. He can't see us. I'm still just invisible. I stand there for a minute not really sure what to do now. I feel so stupid. Not to mention Luke must think I'm dumb for thinking Ray could see us.

"Hey, you okay buddy?" He puts a comforting hand on my shoulder and looks at me with sympathy in his gorgeous hazel eyes.

The queasy nervous feeling comes back has his eyes lock onto mine and I feel frozen in place. Butterflies swarm in my stomach and I can't seem to move my gaze away from Luke.

"Yeah, I'm good." I finally say brushing his hand off and smiling at him so he doesn't suspect anything would be wrong. "Let's go practice for that gig now." And I poof into the studio.

Luke's POV

Reggie poofs to the studio and I follow him. I feel bad that he got all excited Ray could see him but ended up being disappointed. But how could that Nick kid see him? Isn't Nick the guy Julie has a crush on? Maybe it wasn't the same Nick. Maybe it was a ghost and his name is also Nick. It's the only logical explanation I can think of.

"So are we ready to rehearse?" Julie asks when I poof into the studio. "I was thinking we play Finally Free."

"Yeah, yeah that's good." I say.

So we start rehearsing and everything goes just as it normally does, because why would it be any different? Why would anything have to change? Everything is perfect just as it is now.

Julie comes up to me with my microphone and we do the part where she sings and I repeat.

I got a spark in me. Julie sings, smiling at me, her eyes sparkling.

I got a spark in me. I repeat not moving my gaze from locking eyes with her.

And you're a part of me

Now until eternity

Now until eternity

Been so long and now we're finally free

Alex and Reggie join back in and we finish the song taking a bow even thought there was no audience. Or so we thought.

We heard clapping and Willie was in the studio. "That was great guys." He says. Then he looks over at Alex. "Can we talk?"

"You got this man." Reggie whispers rather loudly to Alex.

"Umm, yeah sure." Alex says nervously. Him and Alex poof away. Whatever it is he has to talk about, I hope it ends I'm then getting together. I know Alex really likes him and I want that for him. I want him to be happy. Maybe it will work out better than he and I did.

"What just happened?" Julie asks. I sometimes forget she can't see Willie.

"Willie wanted to talk to Alex." I explain. "I don't know how he found out we didn't cross over, but he did and so now maybe him and Alex can work out."

"Yeah, that would be great." Julie says. "Which reminds me, I actually want to show you a song I've been working on."

"Oh okay." I say.

"I'm gonna go see what Ray's up to." Reggie says poofing out. I feel so sorry for him that it turned out Ray couldn't see him after all. To see him get all excited like that and then watching as his excited smile quickly faded, it's one of the worst feelings seeing someone you care about so down. I want to say something, maybe make him feel a bit better but he said he was fine and even if he wasn't I wouldn't know what to say. I'm not good with emotions and stuff like that and I'm afraid I'd only say something to make him feel worse. It's better I just leave it alone.

Alex's POV

Me and Willie poof out of the studio and to the museum we screamed in together. How did he find out we didn't cross over? And what could he want to talk about?

"Alex, there's something important I have to tell you." Willie says seriously.

"How did you know we didn't cross over?" I ask.

"Look, that doesn't really matter, Alex Caleb knows you're still here." Willie says. "I just thought I should let you know....he's planning something."

"How does Caleb know we're still here?" I ask.

"Look, I know you have a lot of questions but I really can't answer them right now." Willie says. "Caleb knows I helped you, I'm lucky I'm still here. I can't be away much longer, I just wanted to warn you to be careful."

"Why couldn't you say that to all of us in the studio?" I ask.

"Because I also wanted to do this." Willie says. He steps closer to me and presses his lips against mine and before I can even process what's happening he poofs away.

"What just happened?" I ask out loud. Did Willie just...kiss me??! I have to go look for him, he can't just kiss me and then poof away, we have to take about this, don't we? Maybe we don't, in fact maybe we shouldn't. What if he kissed me by mistake? I mean why would he kiss me any ways, right?

Julie's POV

Me and Luke head to my room so I can show him the song I wrote. I got down my dream box and set it on my bed.

"Whatever happened to that being off limits?" Luke smiles.

"Do you want to see the song or not?" I ask.

"No, no I wanna see it." Luke says.

I take out a piece of paper and hand him it. "I have t put it to music yet, but I figured you could help with that." I say. "It's called Breakthrough."

What? Did you think I was gonna show him Perfect Harmony? Haha no way, I'm not ready for that yet! I don't think I'll ever be ready.

"This is amazing." Luke says nodding his head as he scanned the lyrics.

"Yeah?" I say. "Thanks."

"Hey, I'm just being honest." Luke says and I feel my ears get warm and I try not to smile. "So, wanna head back to the studio to work on the melody? I was thinking you could start it a cappella and then me and the boys can come in right here." He says pointing to a lyric.

"I was thinking some like that too." I say.

"Great minds think alike." He smiles and we head back down the the studio.