Chapter 2

"You want me to what?"

"Trust me, honeydeath, I know you're ready - "

"No."

"But Ericka - "

"I said no!"

Ericka pushed past her husband with her arms crossed defiantly. An evident pout was on her face. Dracula sighed. "Ericka," he began, tentatively approaching her. "I would never put you in harm's way, my love." He dared to rest his hand on her arm, and was relieved when she did not resist his touch. He continued speaking. "You enjoyed the howling, didn't you?"

"I guess..." she mumbled.

He further comforted her by wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her in close. "I know you did. And you'll love this, too. I'll be right there in case anything goes wrong. I promise."

Ericka turned to face him, considering his words. In all honesty, she did feel like she could pull this off. Whether she would, however, was an entirely different story. But, despite her own insecurities, the presence of her ever-faithful husband beside her made some of that anxiety disappear. So she nodded, feeling a bit more reassured about the whole ordeal. "Alright," she said, still somewhat reluctantly, though she allowed herself a small smile in the next moment. "I'm sorry for overreacting on you."

Dracula deposited a soft kiss to the top of her head. "It's alright, my love. Becoming de-powered as a human was one thing. I can only imagine what it is like getting all of these powers." He paused and gave her an appraising look. "But, you have improved so much. And... I've really been wanting to go on a fly with my wife."

She grinned wide as he nudged her, knowing the charming effect he had on her. A light blush spread on her features as she finally conceded with a nod.

"Yeah, I guess practice outside the same old castle walls would be a good change."

He looked relieved at the concession, giving her one last kiss on the forehead before interlacing his fingers in hers and leading them away.

Ericka followed him numbly to the hotel's rooftop, nerves now beginning to creep into her with every step closer they took. Dracula opened up a window and stepped out, helping her as she gingerly exited and kept balance until they reached the very edge. She peered down, and gulped. This was it. Thirteen stories. She had been higher up than that before, granted, but it was always in the safety of an aircraft, like a plane or blimp. A freefall with only dependence on herself to shapeshift in time was definitely a thought to get accustomed to. An unnerving one. The weight of a hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality, as her husband spoke in a hushed, soothing voice.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

Ericka closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and nodded slowly. "Yes."

She did not need to open them again to know that he had already nodded back. She focused on the instruction in his voice as he spoke again. "Just remember, do it the way you've always done it. It is no different. On the count of three, my love. One..."

Bend the legs.

"Two..."

Arms out.

"Three!"

At that, Ericka leapt away from the shingled ledge and into the open air. The wind whipped by her face as she plummeted downward, heart pounding in her chest and adrenaline flowing wildly through her veins. She allowed herself to focus on the rush of the wind in her ears and allowed the natural pull of gravity to carry her down further and further. The plunge seemed endless, the fall appearing to last forever. And then, for a second, everything seemed to be going fast and slow at the same time, with the musical sound of a transformation piercing the air and a sudden sensation of weightlessness taking over her body.

Then everything stopped moving.

"You did it, my love!"

Ericka opened an eye at the sound of Dracula's voice. Then she opened the other to fully observe her surroundings. She was fluttering in the air, ivory bat wings beating gently in the breeze. Dracula himself had transformed as well and was hovering before her, his red eyes gleaming with joy.

She blinked for a moment, taking a minute to shake the daze from her head. Looking down, she saw that they were floating about ten feet from the lake below. Above, she could see the spot from which they had leaped from moments ago on the hotel roof. She turned back to him with an equally cheerful expression on her face.

"I did do it!" she exclaimed, flapping excitedly about in a blur of white. "Woo-hoo!"

"Yes, yes! I knew you could!" He congratulated her as he joined in her excitable flight. She swept past him in a graceful move, and soared with skillful ease through the air.

"Come on, slowpoke!" she called out behind her.

"Coming, honeydeath!" he answered in a sing-songy voice.

With short bursts of speed, Ericka weaved her way through the gentle breeze, wings brushing the cool water below and sending an array of droplets cascading through the sky. Then she whirred high up above the hotel, toward the cotton-like clouds that lingered overhead. The sensation was so freeing, and any previous worries that she had seemed all too silly now. She was transformed with a Dracula bite. Of course, there was no doubt she'd become as agile and confident of a vampire as he.

The Count himself appeared just as she ducked herself behind one of the clouds. Breathless, he exhaled a laugh. "Worn out any?"

She snorted. "Not as worn as you'll be trying to find me."

At that, Drac's face dropped. He looked out at the thick expanse of clouds that they now found themselves in. The last time they had taken up playing hide-and-seek had been down near the haunted forest in their wolf forms. It had been nearly impossible for him to make out her snowy white pelt among the wide stretch of frosted terrain. And here, it seemed that things were going to be no different.

"Aw, what's the matter, honeyfangs... afraid you'll lose again?" she remarked with a playful knowing.

Dracula heaved a sigh in exasperation, already unable to identify where the disembodied voice was coming from.

"Don't I know it..."