Chapter 1

PHOTO OF NOLAN ROYALE ABOVE

Synopsis

"Shh, it's okay. Quiet now," Mr. Royale whispered sweet nothings in my ears to coo me. I knew that he was going out of his way to make sure I was okay and I felt very grateful to him at the moment. I had almost forgotten why I was crying in the first place, 'THEN WHY ARE YOU STILL HUGGING HIM!!' my conscience decided to intervene I almost pushed him thinking he could hear it.

;)

Nolan Royale is a smart child, quiet, observant and too mature for his own age. At least that is what his teacher, Tanyaradzwa Hills thinks but his father, Kerem Abdullah Royale does not think so. He is easily enraged by his son's teacher who seems to be questioning his ability as a father to cater for his son. But soon he realizes that there is more to his enragement than he claims on this difficult and sophisticated woman yet understanding and beautiful.

Tanya simply thinks that the man needs to get a grip if he is to care for the upbringing of his intelligent son.

Chapter One

I groaned lowly feeling as if my feet would give up on me anytime soon. I was not standing on my feet but I was sitting for so long, I couldn't even feel my butt. Why does a person feel so tired after stretching out? I guess I might have to look into that when I am nice and cosy in apartment tonight, I noted it down on my notepad. I started walking out of my classroom when I noticed a card that was left on top of a desk, today was a parent-teacher consultation day for the first graders and the cards were to be handed in to the teacher when the parent reached the teacher's desk. I wondered who had forgotten to hand in the cards. As I approached the table, it dawned on me that I hadn't even seen Nolan today, I was sure he had attended school though, he had a perfect attendance register but I wondered why my favourite student hadn't come for the parents teacher consultation. I know it was wrong to pick favourites but could you blame me, Nolan was the most handsome kid I've ever came across, and I prayed that puberty would be gentle on him as he was going to conquer the world with his looks. I was looking forward to meet his guardian or parents and praise them for raising such a wonderful kid, not only were his looks magnificent but the kid knew his stuff. He was basically very intelligent and humble at it too. There were those kids who were smart and tried to embarrass the teacher when she makes a mistake or basically show off for everyone else, but Nolan was mature in that department. He only gave off perfect answers, and when you ask him to further explain, that is when you truly see what a genius the kid was. It seemed he was extra tutored at home, because even his homework was overdone, he had finished reading all the sunrise learners' books that every first grader should read despite my writing a letter to all the parents that a child should only read four pages a day. He finished the books so quickly; he was basically ahead of everyone else in his stream. And his math, was equally good, I wondered why they made the child study extra hard; it wasn't good for his level and I would even suggest they made the child skip the grade and get into second grade for his performance was simply too bright for a first grader. I wondered where Nolan was, school usually ended at twelve but since today kids came earlier at seven because of the event, I was already done by eleven.
I walked outside despite the harsh cold, at least there were no harsh winds and it wasn't drizzling today. I tightened by coat around myself and looked around seeing the students from other grades at their blocks having a normal day as it wasn't their consultation today. I was contemplating on going back and taking my scarf which I had put in my handbag when I noticed someone crouched on the small staircase at the end of the corridor.
It was a child I noticed, a first grader based on the black trousers, blue stockings and blue shirt, he had on a grey winter coat and a blue woolen hat. "Nolan?" I called out unsure. I was positive if it was a first grader it would be Nolan because everyone else had gone back home with their parents.
"Yes ma'am" he mumbled, and it was very low I even congratulated myself for having a magnificent hearing sense.
"Are you okay, it's pretty cold out here don't you think?" I said starting up a small conversation, I wasn't strict to my kids I wanted them to feel safe and calm when they spoke to me not uptight and disciplined.
"It is cold," he confirmed, "but they were a lot of people in there," he said referring to the classroom, "I needed time to myself."
Time to myself? That is my six-year old student speaking people see what I mean when I say the child is intelligent. There are some grown up people out there who are too loud and carefree they don't even know what some alone time means.
"Why weren't you inside, do many people bother you?" I asked, I was working around asking him about his guardian or parents' whereabouts, but I needed to break the ice slowly, I could see how glossy his eyes were, he wanted to cry. But not on my watch, I am a protective mama Bear.
"I am not used to big crowds, where I live is in a big house with my dad where it's just the two of us you know, sure there are servants but I barely notice their existence in such a big house, I could go through the whole day without having anyone's presence but me." Wow, that was the most I had heard him speak about something which does not revolve around school. "So do you get to eat, I mean, I'm twenty-four and I can't even cook for myself, can you," I joked at my expense.
"Sorry to say this, but with all due respect you are kind of silly," he said with a little smile. He had no dimples but he had a small depression on his left cheekbone it was so cute. And I didn't even take offence to that, because he was no longer showing traces of crying. "I do not cook of course, the food is always available on the dining table for me when I arrive from school, the in-between snacks too, and whenever I'm hungry, there are always treats in the kitchen cabinets and fridge."
I nodded my head thinking it best not to ask whether he had company or not. I knew a question that would make him open up further though.
"So you know other kids have already gone home right? And I considered today to be a quarter day, since my days are always half days," he smiled at that which means he was quick as well.

"It's okay, I'm cool here my driver will come and pick me up at twelve."
Wow, he was rich. He had a big house and a driver too?
"You didn't come with your satchel today, you must be hungry?"
"Yeah, I thought my father would send someone for the consultation but he probably forgot,"
He didn't answer my question on whether he was hungry, personally I was starving from all the talking I had with the parents and guardians of my twenty-four students, the twenty-fifth one being this little boy whom I had an extra liking for. "Does he usually forget your events?"
"Never; He doesn't necessarily do his duties as a father but he's never neglected anything he was supposed to do, that is why I am a bit upset."
"Well you know why I think you're upset?" I asked.
And for the first time since I've known him, Nolan shook his head, using an action besides saying the words out loud, guess he had a kid within him somewhere in that intelligent brain of his.
"Hunger makes me upset and cranky even when something bad happens, I react even more terribly when I am hungry."
"So if your learners make noise you get angrier than normal if you are hungry," he stated.
"Absolutely, now I have a few extra samosas in my handbag, mind if we go to class?" I asked already standing up.
"Sure" he said with a straight face. I found him grabbing my outstretched hand which I hadn't even noticed I had offered in the first place. I enveloped his tiny hand in mine and led him back to class.