Chapter 1 Collecting Sam

Maddy was still asleep, laid out across the back seats, it had been a long drive but thankfully almost over. They pulled up outside Sammy's little home halfway down the road. He decided to keep the engine running too, hopefully keep the young teen in the backseat to sleep before getting out he turned and checked on her one last time.

Dean carefully got out and closed the door as quietly as he could behind him. There were no lights on or any movement within the house. The lockpick started moving around until the telltale click of success and the door popped open. He scanned the space around him as he slowly entered.

Dean moved up the stairs slowly so as not to wake his brother. Obviously you can't surprise someone if they hear you coming. He made his way to the door that had been left a jar. He peeked his head around the side and saw exactly what he wanted to see his younger brother asleep in his bed peacefully.

Dean made his way over to the bed and in one swoop had his brother's head locked in his arms pulling him off the bed with ease.  Sam shot awake into flight mode straight away taking no time in flipping his attacker over his shoulder onto the bed in front of him.

"Dean what the fuck!" Sam was shocked to see his big brother smirking up at him. "Hey Sammy" he laughed rolling off the bed and pulling Sam into a hug. Sam was pissed and pushed Dean off him.  "What are you doing, sneaking into my house in the middle of the night. Let alone scaring me like that!".

Dean took a deep breath and began to explain "I've not seen or heard from Dad in a month or so now, he went on a hunting trip and hasn't been back since. I know it's a lot to ask but I need your help to find him and to look after Maddie. Me and Bobby really need you". Sammy can't believe this 6 years and now he's running to him for help, why should Sam help him?  Dean looked at his brother with pleading eyes he knew he couldn't do this without him. "Why should I help you,  you've not spoken to me in 6 years and now you come running to me asking for help".

"It's not just me that needs your help, so does Maddie. You've not seen her in 6 years. She misses you and asks for you all the time. All I can say to her is that I don't know where you are or what you're doing and it breaks her heart and mine" As he said that he couldn't even look at his brother. "Also its a two-way road bro, you could have rung up anytime and yet you didn't, it's not just me who's to blame here".

Meanwhile Maddie was slowly stirring awake in the back of the seats of Dean's car. She looked around but he wasn't there. She looked out the window and saw the house's door was left open. She knew exactly where he was and how to find him. Dean had told her many times to always wait in the car but she never listened. She slowly got up and made her way out of the car. She needed to look to make sure no one was watching or anything should I say. She slowly pushed the door fully open and stood there and listened for a while to try to work out where he was. She could hear voices upstairs, she wasn't 100% sure it's Dean but she knew she had to look anyway.

Once at the top of the stairs she could see both Dean and Sammy. She hasn't seen Sammy in ages. He didn't quite look the same as when she last saw him but she definitely knew it was him. She slowly snuck in the room and came up behind Dean wrapping her arms around his waist. She had her head in his back knowing she didn't want Sammy to see her. "Hey munchkin, should you have got out of the car?" He questioned, but all he got back was the little puppy eyes. He just chuckled, "did you have a good sleep? I thought I'd leave you in the car. I didn't want to wake you" he said as he looked down at the small teenager in front of him.  All Maddie could do was look up at him and say  "Sammy" as she pointed at the man standing in front of them. "Yeah it is, are you gunna say hi?"Again quickly finding his answer she didn't look up and just shook her head keeping it deep in his side.

"How about we all just go downstairs make a nice hot drink and we can talk this out?" Sammy said seeing that his little sister was uncomfortable. Dean looked down at Madeline "What do you think? I know you can't say no to hot chocolate little Misses".

Once downstairs Sammy went to the kitchen and started boiling the kettle while Dean sat down on the sofa with Maddy snuggled into his lap. It didn't take long for the hot drinks to be made. But it was already a bit too late for the little girl she had already passed out on Dean. "Sorry about her, she gets a little shy quite easily and shes definitely not seen you in a while".

"Yeah it's definitely been a while the last time I saw her she's still in pull ups at night and if I remember rightly still struggling in school quite badly".

"Yep that's still not changed but don't mention it in front of her, she gets embarrassed about it. She's got a lot better in school. She is still not all the way there, its still quite hard for her but her writing has improved she can write a few words, not quite sentences yet and she can read simple books obviously with pictures. Were working on it though".

"What you trying to say she still pees the bed! Come on Dean it's been 6 years since I left that makes her almost 14 if not 14 now. I don't think I've ever met a 14 year old who can't write sentences and can't read a book without pictures. Is she a little slow? If you know what i mean".

"Sammy, each child's different but we have taken her to many specialists. No one can tell us exactly what's wrong with her but she's one special little girl and I wouldn't change it for anything, you just don't quite know her yet. But let's get back to what we were talking about before. So dad still not home and it's been over a month. I'm actually worried now I wasn't before but definitely I'm now.  Me and Bobby switch between hunts, he'll look after Maddie while i hunt and then we which but at the minute the hunts are getting harder and it would be easier to have two people but with Maddy we can't do that".

"What do you mean you can't do that with Maddie on your hands? She's 14 can't she be left alone?"

"No, she definitely cannot be left alone. She still needs help when she goes to the toilet, she can't do basic things. It's kind of like having a 3 year old around but in a 14-year olds body. And that's why Bobby and me take it in turns looking after her".

"Well here's me thinking so much had changed over the years but not much but actually a lot at the same time. I can help you out but not for long, only about a month or two I need to get back here to continue my uni studies and keep working. I'm almost there I can't stop now".

"I understand I know you've been working really hard towards this but I really do need your help we all do"

1360 words

hope you're enjoying it so far update coming soon