Chapter twenty-seven: Apart

"Okay this does not look good" observed Mathea while looking at the damage report

"I like how we are still using positive words though" observed Prim

"I don't know how positive words are going to save us and until I do, can you stop talking" intervened Tal over the coms

"Well, if you want an explanation I did major in the impacts of certain words on morale and problem solving" said Lon from the bridge, "It just so happens that using positive words helps troops and the common people to stay hopeful in terrifying situations"

"It's incredible, but that was just an effort on my part to have some silence while I work on something that is definitely not in my credentials"

"Well now it is, good for you" joked Skott

The five of them were currently working on the shields,  Mathea and Lon had stayed on the bridge, Lon was monitoring the progress, Mathea was evaluating which parts of the hull were critical to repair or reinforce, Skott, Tal and Prim were trying to get the homemade hyperlink to actually work. Perifel was pacing back and forth giving out orders to the rest of the crew, everyone was wearing a suit, to protect them in the event of a critical hull breach and a vacuum event.

"You know what I find rather incredible is how troubles is a universal problem, unluckiness seems to be the most widespread effect in this universe"

"Prim, I will have to advocate Tal argument there, what does that even mean" observed Lon

"I am trying to regulate my stress a healthy way" she replied

"I think that at this point I'd rather listen to you sing Bohemian Rhapsody like a teenage girl high on helium"

"Thanks for your undying support Mathea, it warms my heart"

"Prim remember the repairs we made on the first ship, how we were all shaking at the implications of having found our lost brothers and sisters in such a wide universe. When we couldn't concentrate because the emotion was so high. How Charle broke down crying when I came to ask him for a screwdriver. Things are not so different here, we are shaking because of emotion, and we feel like breaking down crying but cannot. We are living history once more, and it's awfully demanding, but I trust you, I believe you can do it. And it goes to the rest of you lot, we can do it"

"I'll admit, I needed that"

"We all did, Tal push it back toward me a little" Prim heard a distinctive "click"

"We got it? it's in place?"

"It is, good job!"

"Let's finish the wirering then" they immediatly got to it and a short time after everything was connected

"Skott I don't know what your team did but the we are receiving a steady energy flow on our end, it is stable!"

"I confirmed a second ago that the capacitors are indeed recharging, shield at 5% already. Captain they did it!" announced Mathea a genuine smile painted across her face

"Suddenly this looks feasible." The Captain hesitated for  a second before issuing his last order "Everyone to their stations"

"Blow incoming!" Everyone reached for a steady anchorage point and braced themselves for the impact.

*****

"It dosen't seem that they have seen us leave!" Arion panicked after seeing the Medra take a hit.

"Shit! How should we get their attention?"

"Build up speed and start flying around the Medra! They wont be able to ignore us then!"