Birds began chirping at the early hour of the day, but I had grown accustomed to it after one year.

The sun hadn't even risen over the mountains yet, but I needed to make sure things were fully stocked up for when winter came through.

Each day that passed, I missed my mother, but I remember her telling me "This world is our temporary home. We were created amongst the stars and will return there when our job here is complete. Once I return I will become a star that will help guide you along your string of fate."

It had been five years since I last saw her as I was now 12, but I had her white hair and eyes that people always said seemed to be made from starlight.

My hair however was dyed an inky black color as the mistress running the orphanage hated how pure it made me look.

The others had also awoken for the day, beginning their chores in haste, hoping to get done in time to have more food for dinner. The first one in line always ate the best while the last one in line got the least amount of food.

Many times throughout the last month, I found myself at the end of the line. The mistress gave me more chores than I could hardly finish on my own.

It was obvious that she despised my existence, but no matter what she did my light never went out.

"How much longer until you're able to finish today Sophia?" My friend, Lilianne asked me. "Hopefully not too long today."

"Actually, it's still the same amount." I responded. "But you really don't have to worry. I've been handling things just fine."

"But...."

"No more talking in the back!" The chef shouted at us, making us speed up our pace in making food.

For the most part, working in the kitchen during the end of Fall was just jarring food to preserve it for winter. The winter in Tenby was quite harsh, making it almost impossible to travel outside of residents.

The first snow could happen at any time, making it dire for preparations to get started immediately at the end of the season.

I made my way through the leaf covered trail that led to the stables where the mail carrier was waiting.

"Tell Madam Billington that the package she requested is going to be late, as the King's guards have been making some rounds, causing some of our main routes to be closed." Rory, the mailman said,

"Got it." I responded, grabbing the pile of mail handed to me before taking off back to the orphanage.

"Sophia!" I heard Madame Bellington call from the front of the building.

"Yes Madam?" I asked as I neared her.

"What took you so long girl, I've been calling you for a few minutes?" She pointed her finger towards me.

"I was...." I tried to respond.

"Nevermind! Quickly give me the mail then make yourself scarce. The royal guards are planning a 'surprise' inspection so you know the drill."

Madam Billington ripped the pile of mail from my hold as she shooed me away towards my hiding place.

"And don't you dare let them see you."

Hiding when the royal guards came was something that was taught to some of the orphans. Specifically the ones who Madam Billington didn't have the proper paperwork for.

"If you think it's bad here, wait until the guards find you." She'd say. "They'll lock you up in the Kingdom's dungeons all alone and with nothing at all."

I hid in the corner of a stall inside the stables, slowly feeling myself start to drift off to sleep. Until, a noise from outside woke me up.

"Where is she?" I heard the angry voice of a man yell.

"I have no idea who you're talking about. I have never seen a girl with pure white hair before." Madam Billington responded.

"White hair...." I thought. "Do they mean me? That must mean that the guards are after me."

Without thinking much, I opened the stable door enough to peek outside. Then, after seeing that no one was around, I slid out and ran into the forest.

I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings as Madam Billington's threats of what would happen if the guards caught me filled my head.  I was in such a rush my feet slipped on a patch of wet leaves.

"Are you alright?" I heard as I tried to get off from the ground, causing my movements to halt.

I felt myself get picked up, then found myself in the arms of a man with short brown hair and green eyes, wearing an all too familiar uniform.

"A guard....." I gasped, attempting to get away from him.

"Calm down before you hurt yourself more." He said, making me feel a sudden pain in my arm.

"It's a small cut, but let's get it treated just in case." His hand raised, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut. The action was done too many times by Madam Billington whenever I messed up on a chore.

Instead of my face stinging, it was pressed up against the fabric of his shirt, his hand resting on the back of my head.

The leaves crunched underneath his feet as he walked in the familiar direction of the orphanage causing my heart to beat rapidly.

"Leon!" He called out to someone.

"Theo, did you....." The response was halted for a second. "Is that her?"

"I'm not sure. She was running through the woods and injured herself from falling."

"Let me see her."

I was handed over to the person named Leon and was shocked at how he looked. His hair was pure white and his eyes were just like mine.

While I was distracted, Leon pulled out a bottle, using his mouth to pop the top of it off. To my surprise, he promptly dumped the contents over my head, causing me to shiver.

I looked down at the shabby dress that I had on only to see black dye staining the front of it.

Theo handed Leon a towel that was used to pat my face dry.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Madam Billington shouted while being dragged away by some other guards. "That child....has to stay here."

"Absolutely not!" Leon responded. "She will be going back with me."

"She's a useless runt! What do you possibly think she's good for?"

"You must be blind and stupid. How dare you talk back to a member of the royal family, and how can you not see our similarities."

"What does he mean?" I wondered, silently watching the scene unfold.

Madam Billington, after a moment, seemed to go into shock. "That can't be..."

"Theo, I leave everything to you. I'm going to take my sister to get treated for her injury." Leon said

"Sister?" I asked aloud.

"That's right, I'm your brother."